HybridZ

new 206cc vortec heads announced

chevy has just announced NEW versions of the vortec heads which are designed for increased flow and are similat to the FASTBURN heads but the new vortec 206cc heads are CAST IRON

PART # 25534371

theres also a slightly improved 175cc version part# 25534351

these new heads are drilled and tapped for both old and new valve cover and both old and vortec style intakes, they have 2.00 intake and 1.55 exhaust valves and 65cc chambers

GM has also released a new 383 425hp crate engine part # `12498772

You know, I have mixed feelings about Chevy coming out with all these cool performance parts and motors. I mean, it's cool that they make the parts and all, and it saves everybody a bunch of money and time (especially the performance crate motors), but I feel like it's kind of stepping on the toes of all the motorheads who have burned zillions of hours learning all the tricks and doing all the research.

I don't know how many times I've seen (or heard) a great motor and struck up a conversation with somebody about the work they've done on their car. Just a couple of weeks ago I spent an hour talking to a guy with a blown smallblock pickup in the Pep Boys parking lot. We both had an excellent time. With all the new stuff available from GM Performance, the conversation might have gone like this instead:

Me: Wow, that thing sounds sweet! What is it?

Him: It's a 383. 425 hp.

Me: Cool! What cam is it? What heads? Did you port-match them? And hey, what manifold is that? What's the compression ratio? I mean, dynamic?

Him: Uh, I dunno any of that stuff. I bought it from Chevy. It's a crate motor.

Me: Oh. Okay. Nice talking to you...

I dunno, maybe every time you gain something, you lose something too. Sigh.

Guest Hauptmann03

Hey All,

I think it is going to put more funin the "street scene"so to speak. It will make more equipment available to more people and better equipment to excite the public and racers. Perhaps your conversation would have been more like this: Hey man, I like your machine! It looks and sounds great!What yu runnin? Man, I put together a real package but I had to do a lot of research. You know, those crate engines are not so simple. I looked at about 5 magazines like Super Chevy, Chevy Rumble, Muscle Car Review, CarCraft, Super Rod, GM High-Tech Performance, Mustangs and Fast Fords, Tech Guide, Engines (Mail Order Engine Guide), High Performance Crate Motor Buyers Guide, and a bunch of Road Racer type mags to get comparisons. Then I was more informed and with this background, I think I can add the touches I need to be competitive! Yea but they all seem the same and everybody knows what ya got. Not really cause it takes a lot of work putting together gears, trannies, tires, tuning, and then weight tricks, and suspensionis anotther gig! Man,I haven't even got there yet! I gotta go work on that! Later! :-D

• 2 weeks later...

ITS A VALID PART # ITS JUST NOT IN ALL THE DATA BASES YET! MY LOCAL CHEVY PARTS GUY SAYS THE HEADS WILL BE AVAILIABLR IN THE NEXT 30-60 DAYS.

Scoggin Dickey Part Center - 5901 Spur 327 - Lubbock, TX 79424

Order Line 1-800-456-0211 - Tech Line 1-806-798-4108 - Fax Line 1-806-798-4086

ALSO HAS THEM ON ORDER ACCORDING TO THE GUY IN TECH SUPPORT i TALKED WITH , LOOK THEY ALREADY HAVE THE 383/425HP LISTED

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=120&pid=156334

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crazymike

true all of these awsome new stuff comming out allows less-knowledged people to have cheap fast power, but it also works for our gearheaded advantage. Everytime I find out about a new inexpensive performance part I find myself dreaming about an engine build that is just as cheap as before, but makes way more power. Let those who don't want to learn stay less-knowledged, but when they pull up next to a machine built by someone who knows excactly what to buy and what not, they'll still get smoked. the faster they go, the faster we go. Its just thier Idea of fast is not nearly as fast as our ideas of fast.

• 5 weeks later...

I talked to my GM supplier today. The posted price on the 206cc version is $335 each (he could not tell me if that was bare or assembled) with no date yet on release has anybody else looked into these or have any new info on them? I'm guessing that when these are released the magazines will have a feild day with them hopfully driving DOWN the prices of the older units at the swap meets. Keith

Guest 77vegasz

The thing that gets me is the fact that alot of this stuff is coming out AFTER I spent a ton of money making mistakes and learning. I have spent way too much on a motor that does not compare to this one!

Oh well, it was a fun ride getting here.

Jon