HybridZ

Tips on stopping metal from oilcaning?

Metro

The roof on my 280z was dented in and now it oilcans. The roof will pop back into place, but its still pretty soft. It's not dented too bad, it's good enough to smooth over with a thin layer of filler.

From what I've read I think I need to use the heat & quench technique, but for such a large area as the roof is there another way or a different technique? It seems like everything I read regarding heat and quench, is that it's generally used on a small area like a dent that has been worked with a hammer and dolly. I've also read about shrinking discs, but I'm not sure if thats what I need.

Anbody know anything about this? Hope I made a some sense.

You make lots of sense. I too would look at heating and quenching to shrink the metal and so tighten it up.

Maybe do a bit in the middle and see how it goes? Might be worth while to get a pro in to do that though, could be tricky and end up a mess.

I probably should wait for my uncle to do it, he was a bodyman for like 10 or 15 years. But I hate not knowing how to do something and having to wait on him. I have a beat up 280z hood to practice on too. If I can't get it right on that, I'll just wait.. and wait.. and wait.. for my uncle.

SBC_400 had the info I wanted, but one question - how hot do you get the metal? Redhot or what?

Thanks for the tips guys.

If you have a welding machine you can lay some small X's of bead in the streched area this will tighten things up some.If you go too far,a hammer and dolly on the weld beads will remove some of the welds stress and relax the metal.When you get it right,grind/sand off the eccess weld.This works very well but there is definatly an art to it.