HybridZ

240 convertible

Guest jhw227

I was told that there is someone in California and Arizona that does the convertible conversion. Can someone please shed some light on this and who is most recommended. Thank you.

Welcome to my area of semi-expertise ! To my knowledge there is no one who is currently "does the conversion" that is, will do a turnkey car. John Washington at Reaction Research has his beautiful Velo Rossa conversion, and sells the kit (reinforcements and rear deck cap) that was originally marketed by Origin Design. Eric at Z Parts is selling the Hollywood Motorsports kit, that also includes frame reinforcements and a bond on cap. Hollywood used to do turn-key cars and sell the kits.

There have been others in the past, Z Therapy (mostly known for SU carbs) did a convertible that used the rear hatch and surrounding areas to make the rear deck area. These were done as turn-keys and through how to videos. This was all under the previous owner, the current owners seem to only be interested in the carb side of the business, but they may still have videos. Courtesy Nissan also stocked them (the videos) at one time.

Jason

Guest kentmocr250

i am now just getting my 280 convertible back from paint & body work. i used the z therapy videos & purchased the windshield header cap from reaction research.while i did my project i also restored the car, it's been almost 2 years, the metal working for the convertable trunk was fun & semi tough to do. fitting a triumph tr7 top frame to the windshield header was really tough. i did my header different than z therapy.if i can fiure out how to put a picture on this site i'll do that,a lil help there would be appreciated. i'll be glad to share any info (that i can remember) on how to do the conversion. kent

I built a 260z convertible project. One thing that has to be done is to reinforce the frame rails before you remove the top. I used pictures that I got off of the internet for general information. The rear hatch was cut and shortened to form the trunk and the boxed hinge section for the hatch was tied into the rear strut towers. I used a drawing out of a Kit Car Magazine for how to reinforce the frame with 2x1" tube stock. The rest was just making templets out of card board and trial fitting them, then fabricating the real pieces out of sheet metal. For the price some one would charge for doing a conversion, you could buy all of the tools you need. You need a sawal, wire feed welder, small grinder, and a DA sander to get most of the work done. I would not cut up a 240 in good shape in my opinion. Also there has been a convertible kit on ebay a few weeks ago, you might check.