HybridZ

Theft prevention

Guest 2.8L_73_240Z_MikeR

Guest 2.8L_73_240Z_MikeR

Hi everyone, I need some help on how I can protect my 240 from theft.

I think alarms are a waste of time as no one pays any attention to them when they go off.

I have heard of some people who have a hidden button and when the car is started without pressing it the car will run for a short while before the engine shuts down leaving the theif to think the car has broken down.

Does anyone know how I can set this up or maybe you have a better idea.

I think this has been spoken about before but I can't find it in the forums at all.

Thanks,

Mike

What you need is an 'anti-hijack immobiliser'

What it does is, if within 30 seconds of starting the car a secret button isn't pushed, the engine will die. They are designed that way so that if you are 'car-jacked' at gun point, the thief will be quite a distance away from you before finding out that he's screwed. Do some searches for anti hijack immobilisers.

Tim

The unfortunate truth is that anyone with a butter knife can steal your Z and it gets down to how badly you want to protect it. The Key systems in the 70's were really poor, and with 30+ years of wear a nail file will open the door of your car and start the ignition...So Z cars are easy targets.

My suggestion is a relay tied into your ingition switch that has a momentary button that must be pushed to start your car. This is achieved with a relay and a little intellegence and a hidden switch. it would require the would-be thief to have your key and know where this switch is mounted to defeat your simple alarm.

The disadvantage is that if they want to steal parts or are using a tow truck this will not help. Also, if you loan your car out often it could be a problem telling everyone how to start your car. Also, it is a known fact that most thefts are by someone you know, so if they know about your hidden switch it wont help either.

A good alarm is a good defense too, make it sound different than the thousand or so you hear on a daily basis as your ears will become sensitive to how your alarm sounds. In my personal opinion, the louder & more obnoxious the better.

Most 240z's are vulnerable around the battery, holes drilled in the bottom of the battery or the cover over the top gets pried up and the battery becomes useless to power your alarm. A battery backup siren is a good option for this potential threat with a standard alarm.

I hope this helps...

Guest 2.8L_73_240Z_MikeR

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I will look into anti-hijack immobilisers, a relay tied into the ignition sounds good.

Thanks again

Guest bastaad525

If you want to get some good insurance cheaply just install a hidden kill switch. Easy to do and would cost like $10 in parts from Radio Shack, or you can have any stereo/alarm place do it for like $50. The more creative you are in where you have the actual switch installed, the less likely any thief will find it :) I think most thieves probably wouldn't even try too hard... car doesn't start, they move on.

Even new old stock datsun lock sets are only 1970's technology (if you go stock replacement) there are aftermarket lock sets that will help, again this is a comparison of how badly you want to protect your car vs how badly someone wants to steal it. the remote kill switch is cheap easy and effective.

As far as immobilizers, if a thief threatens to steal your car at gun point, let him have it. Get a Lojack system if you are that paranoid.

The problem with making the car hard to get in to is that the thief will then break the window, or door lock to gain access. Make it easy to get into, then hard to steal. At least that way you have more chance of finding your Z in one piece in your driveway!!

Guest bastaad525

I'd crack up if someone tried to carjack me at gunpoint... they probably wouldn't even get anywhere.

People have a real hard time with the ACT clutch in my car. Even people who drive a stick every day... EVERY time I take my car to a shop or whatever, and they go to move my car, they stall 2 or 3 times. And I always tell them "let me move it your'e gonna have a problem with the clutch" and they always refuse like I dont know what I'm talking about, and get out red faced when they stall it just like I said.

Coming from place where car jacking is common place, anti hijack devices are standard equipment from the factory! That includes flame throwers installed in the rocker panels of the driver's side as a factory option on BMWs!! (no shite! :shock: )

Guest bastaad525

what's REALLY going to be funny is when a BMW owner uses this feature to 'deter' a carjacker and then the carjacker will turn around and sue and win.

"thanks I couldn't STEAL your car the hard way but now you just bought me a new one"

A switch tied into the coil will allow the car to crank until the battery is dead, the thief will just think your car doesn't run and move on. If you have removed the mechanical pump and just run an electric, you can put a switch on that circuit so the car will start and run for a minute, but then die a few feet down the road.

If you really want added security, buy a key-switch (radio shack) and wire that in. Then you need both keys to start the car.

Theives are lazy bitches. Otherwise they could get jobs and buy thier own stuff rather than take yours. Use that to your advantage. Anything that makes taking your car too inconvienient to steal will do.