HybridZ

Big Block Buick in ZX?

zguy95135

In our small fleet of cars at home we have a "slighty" rusty 81 280ZXT and a big block Buick nailhead engine. The plan is to put the turbo engine in my dads Z 2+2 and put the nailhead in the zx. it would be cool and we have the stuff, have you ever seen this before and are there any kits? Just toying with the idea but 330+lbs of torque stock would be nice.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I think it is safe to assume that there arent going to be any kits.

330+ ft/lbs of torque is nice, but that is actually a relively low yield for a big block. I have an Olds 455 which is a similar engine (I believe) which is about 430 ft/lbs stock. (no, it's not for my Z)

• 1 year later...

You could probably with the inexpensive BOP to Chev adapter found in Jegs or Summitt use the 7004R tranny. I have seen nailhead parts on eBay. I had a 1965 Buick Sportwagon with the "nailhead" short stroke-high compression 300 cubic inch engine that would haul between 60 to 90 mph.This short stroke Buick engine was a few years before the Camaro Z 28 short stoke 302....Nailhead V-8's were a favorite swap engine because they would fit in about everything. The 300 cubic inch Sportwagon got 13 in the city and 17 on the highway.

my frend has a TH-350 behind his 455, he says it makes about 500 ft/lbs at the flywheel, the block just cracked a few weeks ago, but hes getting it bored out and sleeved, and its gonna b about a 470 ci engine..his transmission can't hold too much abuse while running at 500 hp either.

• 2 weeks later...