HybridZ

Turbo Gurus, James, Mike Gadwaw, SleeperZ, Scottie Etc....

Guest Chris240turbo

Guest Chris240turbo

After reviewing compressor flow charts and turbine maps 'til I'm blue in the face I believe I'm ready to order a new turbo, I would like the opinion of others who have "been there, done that" I have selected a T3/60-1. with a .70 A/R, 60 trim T04S compressor, and a 76 trim, stage 3 .63 A/R turbine, with a Tial 40mm wastegate. I believe the rest of the motor is set up to (finally) take advantage of this type of turbo, unless someone knowledgable has a better , proven recomendation. My car is 95% street driven.

For a bit of background info, the f54/p90 combo in the car is set up with a new HKS 1.0 mm headgasket, j+e forged pistons, total seal gapless rings, schnieder cam, nissan motorsports 9mm rod bolts, 550cc injectors, A1000 aeromotive pump, regulator, 1/2' feed line, and runs a haltech E6K management set-up. previous best dyno run made 287 hp and 318 tq at 16 psi and 22 degrees total lead, through a very low buck buick GN compressor, and much smaller I/C than the one I just finished mounting in the car (new I/C is 3.5dx6.5hx18.5w, 1080cfm) this has proven to be stone reliable at this power level, and I'd like to avoid compromising that, even though I no longer drive the car daily.

I welcome all knowledgable opinions, thanks

Chris

p.s. HybridZ rules!!! :D

You may want to contact Rick Bowers on this one I believe he has a similar turbo to the one you are considering, however, he is taking advantage of a full T4 turbine wheel in a hogged out T3 housing (I believe). Your set-up sounds like it is on point and the Spearco is the best bang for the buck intercooler out there (1080 CFM). :D

I have selected a T3/60-1. with a .70 A/R, 60 trim T04S compressor, and a 76 trim, stage 3 .63 A/R turbine

Are you running a 60-1 compressor or are you running a 60trim T04S? I think both compressor wheels flow the same, about 60lb/min. It has been a while, but I think you want to run the stage V stuff on the turbine side. Where are you purchasing the turbo? Send me an e-mail as I can get you new Garrett turbo's for cheap.

Glad to see you were able to snag that Spearco. Congrats.

Personally I think your choices are fine. While I would agree with James on the bigger exhaust wheel, you did state that the car will be 95% street-driven. However, the one thing that concerns me is the cam and I know I will get lots of arguments over this but I just do not think a cam upgrade is necessary at the power level you are shooting for and the driveability you desire. I believe some of the "turbo cams" are just too agrressive, not giving the engine a chance to run under load. If the cam is a quick revver, then in combination with the smaller turbine side will make for a snappy car around town but somewhat useless power if you really want to wring it out. While quick revving and wheelspin makes for a good show, it is not the way to make a turbo car go quick.

BTW, when you first test your new setup, make sure you have the boost level turned down. An upgraded turbo and a Spearco will make the same power with quite a few psi less.

Good luck!

Guest Chris240turbo

Thanks for the replies all... James, Cheapturbos.com lists this turbo as a 60-1,, but after reading the ad copy, it says T04s compressor housing, 60 trim wheel, .70 a/r, so I assume it is not really a 60-1 wheel? does say 61lbs/min though, anyway I did the cam before I witnessed many others making big power on the stock turbo cam, it's a schnieder "stage 1" split pattern, .460int lift and .440ext lift, and 260/250 duration, it seems to work just fine, but knowing what I know now, that money could certainly have been better spent elsewhere.

Cheapturbos has the best price I've seen, at least on the net, they list this turbo at $649, but the stage 5 exhaust is a $160 upgrade, and they list a tial 38mm w/g for $239, or 40mm for $339, I'm also going to investigate a "wastegate adapter" that I had seen on some turbo website awhile back, basically a cast block that mounts the w/g between the manifold and turbine housing, seems like then I wouldn't need a spacer to mount it up, plus I don't know how durable a welded mount for the w/g would be on the cast manifold...

Thanks for all the opinions, thats what makes this site so much better than most, straight forward answers with zero b.s.

Chris

I have a stage V turbine, its a nice wheel, and the hit is softer then a stage 3. There is some merit to what Scottie said, I could break my tires loose easily in first and second with the stage 3, yet with the stage 5, it doesn't hit so hard, and hence, less tire spin.

I will say one thing. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP TURBO!!!! Its not a good deal if you have to take it right back off, and you need to have some pretty specific things done to yours, since you will go for more power later, trust me.

Spend the money and buy a good well built turbo. Forced Performance will also build you one, and well, they make some hellacious DSM turbo's built to run high boost, and you need the dependability, if you ask me.

Just my 2 cents. I have the same intercooler you got I think, its a nice piece. Flows well too.

I have a 60-1 wheel in a machined to fit to4e 50-trim housing. Not sure what you call the compressor trim now... The turbine side is a P-trim to4 wheel in a machined to fit T3 housing. The builder (Turbo Specialties) calls the turbo a "T61".

This turbo makes 12psi by 3200 rpm, with a big hard hit above that.

I guess it's not a road race turbo, but I likes!

I think the 60-1 or equivalent is definitely the right compressor for the L motor - just pick your turbine for the kind of spoolup response you want.