HybridZ

Legalities of RB series motors?

Guest tr0ublemaker909

Guest tr0ublemaker909

Im looking to do the swap into a '71 240z but i wanted to check out the legalities before i spend alot of money and end up finding out that my car is super illegal. I think that it is pre '76(not sure of exact years)cars that dont require emissions testing so that would keep smog checks out of the way, but is there anything else i could get in trouble for by doing the swap, i checked the search and found no matches so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Since that engine was never release or certified in the States, let alone CA, I doubt it could be made legal, but you may want to get in touch with someone at State (BAR-Bureau of Automotive Repair, or CARB - Caifornia Air Resources Board.)....I would suggest that you speak in hypotheticals and non-specifics.

I can tell you what the BAR will say:

"Engines not type certified for release in the USA or within the CARB jurisdiction will have to be made compliant before certification will be granted."

Why do I know this? Because I tried to get a late 68 production L24 (from Japan) certified for my 73 240Z. As it was not an engine originally manufactured to US Specifications, I was required to install all applicable emissions controls for the year of the VEHICLE.

This was in an attempt to utilize the Pre May 84 exemption for predating engine swaps...

As you are swapping in a NEWER engine, you would have to comply with the required emissions equipment for the year of the ENGINE in your older chassis. The catalytic converter is NOT required, though as it is (for some reason) considered a CHASSIS item, and not an ENGINE item.

What this means is that you may have to use Motorex to Certify the RB26, as they are the only recognized CARB converter to do that right now...

Next year that changes, and "self certification" can be attempted.

I don't want to scare you off, but it really is not that hard if you CAREFULLY select your year, and KNOW what the engine is required to have. Most J-Spec motors have all the required bits, so it will pass the visual. Wether it passes out the tailpipe is another question altogether.

This was common in early SR20DET swaps into 510's when there was no rolling 30 testing exemption.

Now remember, an early car is exempt from TESTING, and not compliance. So if you do the swap, and are exempt from testing, how will anyone know that you accomplished the swap in the first place if you are not smoking and nobody calls you in to 1-800-CUT-SMOG?

I hope that last paragraph made the whole point clearer...without the need to make a blatantly illegal statement.

Guest porschephile

That's one reason I love Texas! I'm exempt so they don't even get to pop the hood and see the engine. All they get to check is lights, horns, wipers etc. I'm not sure how it is in CA for an exmept vehicle. If you are exempt will they still pop your hood and look at the engine for compliance, or will they just test the emissions? If they just test emissions on an exempt vehicle, you could have a cat welded on your exhaust, pass and then they would never see the engine that's actually in there.

In CA, if your car is required to be tested (usually every two years as a requirement for registration), then it's a visual check for all components and a rolling load (dyno) check at different speeds with a sampler in the tailpipe. THey also pull the gas cap and pressure test it. There is no 'safety inspection'.

Tim

Remember this guys.....even if your particular State has no testing requirements, it's still a FEDERAL crime to remove or tamper with emissions control equipment. Is it likely that you will be caught....probably not, but if you do, it can be serious! Federal EPA frowns with a big ticket book.....

I love Alabama! :-D No inspections at all.

Sometimes I wish there was more enforcement of safety laws in this state. There was a car of an employee of the plant where I work that had only an airbrushed tag on it for over a year, then the car was not here anymore. It drives me crazy the number of cars that drive around with no brake lights, no tail lights, or the bulbs installed backwards so it looks like the brakes are on all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
yes im in CA if the car would be illegal what would it take to keep it legal?

To stay legal you need to carry over any and all smog equipment, and the catalytic converter(s) must be in the same general location as do the O2 sensors. This also means carrying over the carbon canister for the fuel.

You also must re-register the vehicle with DMV, it is not legal to drive a V8 (example) if it is listed as a V6 with your insurance company.

I have to disagree with you on the catalytic converter Mudge.

The BAR has classified the Catalytic Converter a "chassis" item, and if you are doing a newer engine swap into an older non-catalyzed vehcile, you are NOT required to install the cat. Wether the vehicle passes the test without the cat is another matter altogether. Basically, they make it hard for vehicles without a cat to pass to the stricter emissions levels required for 90+ cars. Doing a swap from a mid 80's RB motor would easily pass smog for the years without a cat. My 73 with a 71 SU setup piped clean to 83 California Standards without a cat! Of course it failed the visual for lack of an EGR... but Smog Check has very little to do with cleaning the air...but that is a rant for another time! :D

The conversion process would take a trip to the referee at a minimum, along with scrupulous documentation of the engine source (Donor vehicle VIN, donor vehicle emission tag, etc)

To follow the letter of the law, it is MUCH easier to swap in a compliant domestic or imoprted V-8 than an originally non-compliant engine of any size or non-US spec source.