HybridZ

Turbo Pistons

DatsunBoy77

Are all dished pistons turbo pistons. I ask this because i got my hands on some dished pistons out of a ZX turbo block for basically nothing, but it was not turbocharged and had a different head on it. I remember someone saying how the turbo piston rings are different. I may not evevn run these pistons, but they were part of the package i got from him so i didnt complain.

these are aftermarket pistons so they dont say p90 on them. But which ones are you referring to as the ring lands. i measured all three and the first two were near 1.5, and the third (bottom) and largest one was about 2mm. i say about because i didnt have anything that read mm but a feeler gausge and just added up all the different gauges.

The answer is no. Early 280Z engines had dished pistons. Measure the ring lands, if it is 2mm wide, its a Z piston, 1.5 its a turbo one.

I did an engine rebuild for my son about 6 months ago and this engine was stamped F54 and had a P90A head but it was NA no turbo. It had dished pistons and I am about to set up a turbo in it and now wonder if the dished pistons in this set up were actually turbo or not?

I tend to beleive that this was a turbo engine that had been retrofited to NA before I bought it. It is running great but feel shaky at this point after reading this topic and the comments made about two types of dished pistons. Are the non-turbo pistons found in an enegine combo like the one I describe?

these are aftermarket pistons so they dont say p90 on them. But which ones are you referring to as the ring lands. i measured all three and the first two were near 1.5, and the third (bottom) and largest one was about 2mm. i say about because i didnt have anything that read mm but a feeler gausge and just added up all the different gauges.

I think you are measuring were the ring seats. The ring lands are the metal between them, the ring land supports thr ring. On turbo pistons it's the land just under the top compression ring that is thicker.