HybridZ

Blown head gasket q's (domino effects?)

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

well.. I'm still wallowing in indecision here about the fate of my car. My wife is pushing on me real hard, especially, not to get rid of it. But so many things going thru my head... pluses and minuses. Anyways... I digress... I already have a thread up for that :) but I figured I have a technical question or two and better post it seperate.

Now, I know it is only an assumption, that it even IS the headgasket that went (possible a cracked water passage in the head or block) but lets just say, for now, that it is the gasket, as obviously any cracks will necessitate a new block or head. So... I'm doing 75 on the freeway, and the gasket blows, and starts smoking REALLY badly. So I gotta assume this was a really bad leak, lots of water getting into one or more cylinders. I would say I drove about another two miles before I was able to get off the freeway and pull over to get towed. When I came to a stop, the car would barely idle (and indeed did die a couple times) and was just POURING white coolant smoke (definately coolant, by the color and the smell), so much so that it enveloped the car more heavily than doing a really big burnout!! I mean it was just blanketed in smoke. I checked the oil on the dipstick, and opened the oil fill cap to look inside the valve cover, and I didn't see any signs of oil mixed in the water at all ( :shock: ) which really surprised me. Since then I've only started the car twice, and it only ran for at most a minute each time (to move the car into my parking spot). I am running mobil 1 oil, for what that's worth. The temperature gauge never went above it's usual position... however I know that probably doesn't mean much, as the temp sensor is screwed into the thermostat housing, and I have no idea how much coolant was left in the system by the time I got off the road, but it definately lost a lot (looking into the radiator, there was no coolant visible but of course you can only see down a couple inches).

Now, with all that in mind, what all am I looking at as far as possible, or LIKELY, damage or things I will have to look out for? I mean, can I simply pull the head, have a machine shop go over it (make sure it's not warped at all), throw on a new gasket, button it all back up and go? Not that I'm cheaping out, but if there is no sign of water in the oil does it need to be changed? Heh... okay I'm cheaping out... mobil 1 is expensive and I've changed it three times in the last month and 1/2 (don't ask me why.... long story). I've never blown a head gasket before but it seems to be common among you turbo guys (you KNOW it is!!!) so I have no idea what all has to be done when it happens or what else can possibly have been affected.

Lastly, gaskets. I was using a Felpro head gasket... heheh some of you may say that was my problem right there :) I haven't looked recenly, myself, but I guess there are some options out there for head gaskets for this motor. The three I know of are the nissan factory one, the felpro, and the super expensive HKS. Was hoping to get some oppinions/experiences with these. If enough guys support it I have some of my tax money left over after buying my wifes car, I can PROBABLY get that HKS if you guys think it's worth it... but WHO HAS THEM? Are the felpros really all that bad? How much are the nissan gaskets and can I get them in a set (I'll also need the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, valve cover gasket, etc.)?

Bastaad525,

I was using Felpro gaskets as insurance against piston damage when I started tuning my turbo setup. Blew 2 of them ($hitty tuning, I know) before I was comfortable with the way the engine was running. I now have an HKS gasket on there. When I did blow the gaskets, both times I only blew out the compression ring. No oil or coolant leaking at all! Guess I got lucky. I know you have trouble working on the car where you live, but you wouldn't have to work on it from the bottom. Yank the head and see what's up. If you find a bad gasket, just put a straight edge on the head to make sure it's flat, replace the gasket with a Nissan turbo HG, and change the oil. I wouldn't use synthetic until I was sure the motor was going to stay together. Use it the next time you change the oil. If you have the tools, how long could it take? A day? When this stuff happens to me I get the attitude of there is no way this car is going to get the better of me. Selling it will never be satisfying, fixing it will. Just my 2 cents.

Joe

I was using a Felpro head gasket... heheh some of you may say that was my problem right there

There is nothing NOTHING wrong with Felpro. Simply the best gasket you can use (save for the metal one). now if you had a Nissan gasket i would say that would be your problem. If you used a Victor, well you would not have made it out of the driveway :wink:

I think you'll be fine with a FelPro or Nissan. I though I had a FelPro fail once but it turned out to be a snapped head bolt.

Check your cam. Those lobes are soft and will sear quickly. If your lobes and rocker pads look good then you might be ok. :-D I agree with rags. Run some regular oil till you're sure it's fixed. Remove your spark plugs and check the ends. It'll be obvious which cylindar has the leak.

Get to work on that car! We want to see how much HP you gain with your IC that's waiting to be installed. :lol:

Chuck

Guest bastaad525

I have this HUGE hunch that it's a snapped bolt, rather than a blown gasket... dont ask me why. Well.. I am leaning towards getting the HKS gasket... but you guys got me worried with this 'if it stays together' talk :D those gaskets aren't cheap... where can I get them anyways??? Well... we got my wife a car today, so... there is no more urgency to selling mine at least. I'll probably pull the head off on monday... guess I'm keepin it :shock::oops: AGAIN... man... but you know they say third times the charm... so either this being the third time I 'welcome it back into my life' will be the charm, or next time it pisses me off enough to want to sell it will be the charm and I finally let it go... only time will tell, eh? Well... I have some apology emails to write I guess, to everyone that was interested in buying.