HybridZ

how do I tell the difference btwn 80 and 81 zx 5spd tranny?

zredbaron

i bought a 5 spd tranny but the guy cant remember if its an 80 or 81.

the only difference is fifth gear, right? im sure i need to open it to determine the yr, but what do i look for?

thanks again, fellas.

-mark

btw if anyone cares im workin on a website to show all ive gone thru. it wont necessarily detail installation b/c well im just 24 and dont have the experience, but i can at least share what ive done and the mistakes and lucky guesses ive made. plus theres always gratuitous Z pics and flics...

I'm "the guy" who can't remember. Soileau, are you sure the "80" trans you have pictured is in fact original from the car? As far as I know, the early 5 speed (77-79) has two ears, and the later (80-83) is the other, and not just an 83.

BTW, the one that Mark's getting is the single ear one.

Mark, I was thinking if you want to know just to know, worse case senerio, after you put the trans in, just calculate out 5th by your RPM's and rear end ratio.

Phil

An 80 or newer will have reverse lockout, so you can stick a shifter in it and check for that.

You could also mark the input shaft and the output shaft, turn the input and see if you can see a difference on the output. Might not be a big enough difference to see easily, but it is worth a shot.

Jon

I'm "the guy" who can't remember. Soileau' date=' are you sure the "80" trans you have pictured is in fact original from the car? As far as I know, the early 5 speed (77-79) has two ears, and the later (80-83) is the other, and not just an 83.

BTW, the one that Mark's getting is the single ear one.

Mark, I was thinking if you want to know just to know, worse case senerio, after you put the trans in, just calculate out 5th by your RPM's and rear end ratio.

Phil[/quote']

I just picked up two more yesterday from a jy. Both tailshafts are broken from wrecks, but I will change out the tailshafts.

They both are late style trans with the single slotted ear at the tailshaft....