HybridZ

LS1 Drivetrain purchased

Well Guys I did it. I found a motor and trans for my LS1 swap. It is from a 2002 Camaro SS with 20K miles on it that was wrecked in the rear. I sent a deposit for it today and I will go and pick it up next week.

I can't wait to get it home and start the planning stages of the swap. This swap will be completed in time for the 2005 National Z car convention which if all goes well will be in New York next year.

I am sure that I will be here picking your brains for all the info I need to make this swap a reality. Thanks for all of the help so far. I can't wait to fell the power of an LS1 240Z. I plan to fully document the swap and post it on the internet. To see my car as it is now go to:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3083&ppuser=4628

Phantom,

If you purchased one of those do you think it would be cheaper to pick up a Tremec tranny as opposed to a T56? The lowest I have seen a T56 for was $1500. Could you even use another tranny easily? The ECU is programmed for the 4L60E right? What would be involved with using a manual tranny?

Thanks,

Rufus

David,

Didn't mean to pirate your thread here. Welcome to the LS1 ranks! Hope you are very talented and have lots of $$$. It is going to be a great ride once you're done!

Rufus,

I saw a T56 with 40,000 miles on it yesterday on LS1tech.com for $1,000.

As to your question about the Tremac - I assume a T-5? I don't know for sure - which manual tranny does GM normally provide with that engine?

Changing transmissions will require reprogramming of the ECM but that is all. besides the normal stuff with the torque plate, bell housing, clutch, etc. My engine originally came with the 4L60E. It now has a T56 behind it and it works fine.

Guest Blazer406

I believe Tremec has the rights for the old Borg Warner T56. I believe they are one in the same..... as far as the 6 speeds that came behind LT1's and LS1's. I know there are some gear ratio differences between year models though.

Well I picked up the motor yesterday. 300 miles drive round trip. I had a ear to ear smile on my face the whole ride home. I couldn't stop looking in the rear view mirror to admire it.

Now that I am actually looking at an LS1 up close, out of a car, I can see some areas of clearance concerns. Boy those stock exhaust manifold flanges are big. Are the Corvette exhaust manifolds a possibility for more clearance? Has anyone tried them? I reallly didn't want the extra noise of headers but I may have to deal with it.

I have some pics of the motor. How do I post them??[/img]

You are ahead of me and I plan on doing basically the same thing. I was wondering are you making your own mounts and brackets or are you buying Johns Kit. Also if there are a lot of people buying the kits from John, maybe we should all work out a bulk order with him or see if like JTR or Motorsports (or other) would be interested in producing a kit. But one thing I do have to say is that motor would look sexy inside a z engine bay. (my wife laughed when I said that).

Robert

You are ahead of me and I plan on doing basically the same thing. I was wondering are you making your own mounts and brackets or are you buying Johns Kit. Also if there are a lot of people buying the kits from John' date=' maybe we should all work out a bulk order with him or see if like JTR or Motorsports (or other) would be interested in producing a kit. But one thing I do have to say is that motor would look sexy inside a z engine bay. (my wife laughed when I said that).

Robert[/quote']

Robert,

I have not yet made up my mind if I will go with the JCI kit or have the mounts made. If you folow some of the other posts you can see my delemma. Look at the post titled LS1 Motor mount options. It has been a hot post in the last few days!

Also, A group buy sounds good but really, his prices are very reasonable for what he offers.