HybridZ

Narrowed choice to ZZ4

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this particular engine in past posts. A quick search should yield volumes. The engine I always wanted to build was a ZZ430. That is the fast burn 385 version with the hot cam and GM supplied carb. IMO kind of the ultimate ZZ4 crate version. Grumpyvette once told me that for the same amount it would cost to build a complete ZZ430 (check out Scroggins Dickey), that I could build a better engine from scratch. Keep in mind the ZZ4 is going to need quite a few additional pieces to complete.

Grumpyvette definitely knows more than I. But at least the crate engine is a known cost. If you build your own you always have to worry about getting bad parts that aren't rebuildable (like a cracked block). On the other hand, building one from scratch lets you use things like forged pistons and a cam more suitable to our low weight Z's. We don't need the low end torque like a heavier car, so putting in sligtly more cam and a Vic Jr. intake yields more HP with sufficient low end torque. Grumpyvette had specific combinations of parts.

There are a number of guys who have used the ZZ4. Hopefully they will chime in also.

I've always wanted to use a ZZ4 shortblock and build from there. I believe you could come out ahead of a ZZ430 for slightly less and have at lease some satisfaction knowing that you built a part of the motor (you will have avoided some of the more tedious parts by getting the shortblock assembly). At just under $2000, it's a pretty good deal.

The ZZ4 is a good value. It makes an honest 355 H.P. and can also be upgraded 35+ H.P. with the Hot Cam. I have a ZZ430 clone (Fastburn with Lt-4 Cam-set); which has the same short block as the ZZ4. Had it balanced this winter and have not put it back in the car yet, but I've been driving it around 2 years. You can buy a ZZ430 clone from Superior Chevrolet or Sallee to name 2 I know of. I started out to rebuild an old Cop Car 350, but after looking at the crate, the decision became pretty easy. Good luck..