HybridZ

removing struts - out of car

i'm a suspension newbie - please be gentle!

Seriously,

I got the suspension off of a '72 240 that had nice upgrades, little mileage, and terminal rust. The only way I could get the stuff before it went to the crusher was to drop the whole assembly, front and rear. Borrowed some spring compressors and started on it tonight, only to find that I can't loosen the strut caps due to their ability to spin now that the units are out of the car. :( Can anyone share some great ideas on how to break the caps loose with the strut units free and out of the car? Thanks for any input!

Put a big ring wrench on one of the studs at the top of the strut 'cap' and use one of the other studs to hold the cap steady. Put it on the ground (lay the strut assembly down and have the wrench resting on the ground). Then put a socket on the strut nut and stand on the wrench and use your other foot to press down on the powerbar (which is obviously connected to the socket and nut). That should do it!!