HybridZ

anyone have a small block laying around?

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

i had a line on a 305 tpi engine but it looks like it fell through..im looking for a 305-327-350 for a v8 z conversion...somthing cheap i can rebuild..or somthing thats in good running condition that i can drop right in..i goto a local tow yard that sells cars but havent found anything good yet...any help is appreciated!

I've got a TBI 305, 90 model with roller cam I'll let go for $250 including wiring, computer and TBI parts. It ran fine but had lots of miles. I bought it for accessory drive and 5 speed. (I know you aren't anywhere near me, but maybe someone else is who needs cheap motor.)

Don't know about the whole motor, Mike, but will that TBI setup swap to an old carbed 350? I wanna go injection, and my new job may have me there soon, budget-wise, but is this a valid alternative to aftermarket injection? Can the stock system be tuned for the extra cubes and hotter cam? Just curious....

Bill

I think you could use a TB from a 454 for more airflow, but the stock MAP settings don't care much for hot rod motors. If you have a mostly stock 350 you could run a prom from a truck. Turbo City will custom burn a prom based on your displacement, camshaft, etc. You would probably want to run an aftermarket manifold and at minimum would have to mod the center intake bolts to fit on an '86 or earlier set of heads.

Well, I have a new set of Vortec heads i'm installing as soon as I get an intake, so that won't be a problem. The motor is pretty much stock except for the cam, got a 272 advertised duration (both sides) with a .460 lift. Shouldn't be too far from stock. Won't the throttle body bolt up to a carb intake? Or is there other sensors and stuff that need to go into it? I'm really not that farmiliar with the TBI system, so i'm not sure what all it entails. I am persistent, though, so I'll figure it out, one way or the other...

Bill

Well, I have a new set of Vortec heads i'm installing as soon as I get an intake, so that won't be a problem. The motor is pretty much stock except for the cam, got a 272 advertised duration (both sides) with a .460 lift. Shouldn't be too far from stock. Won't the throttle body bolt up to a carb intake? Or is there other sensors and stuff that need to go into it? I'm really not that farmiliar with the TBI system, so i'm not sure what all it entails. I am persistent, though, so I'll figure it out, one way or the other... Might just go aftermarket.

Bill

To use a GM throttle body on a 4 barrel intake requires an adapter plate. Turbo City once again. Throttle bore spacing might be an issue which may require a single plane intake. Check out Turbo City's web site and see what they say. Also, the DIYfuelinjection page should have some stuff on this.