HybridZ

How to Convert a 93 LT1 to a 95 ECM?

This week end I tried to buy an LT1 out of a 93 vette. Got outbid, but during the auction I started doing web searches on the engine. From what I read, the 93 is a speed density system with the old chip type computer. I would really like to have a flash programable ECM like the 95's did since the thought of paying $150 for a new chip everytime I change something is not appealing.

Any body know what would be involved with a conversion like this? Or should I hold out for the correct year of engine?

You would have to get a 95' harness, MAF, possibley a 95' intake(fuel rail set up is different) & distributor (connector is different on disributor), and you might have to get a few different sensors(I know that the IAC sensor is not the same for a 93' as the 96', so the 95' sensor might not be the same as the 93').

Do what the others guys said....just get the 95. It will be cheaper in the end

Guy

Thanks for the advice. I bid on the 93 because it was looking extremely cheap up until an hour or so before the end of the auction. Kind of a pisser to be limited to a single year of engine. Maybe I should research all the different years some more so I will know what I can live with when a deal comes along.

What is the advantage of a 94 over a 93?

My Z is smog exempt, but I still want to do a 100% legal swap. I have read that 96 and greater is OBDII, which could result in cats, both O2 sensors and possibly the ABS wheel sensors (at least on the LS1's).

The 94, 95 and early 96 are basically the same motor except for the post 94 LT1s had the vented optispark. The 93 was speed density based so didn't have a MAF and the head/fuel rails were slightly different.

Tim