HybridZ

Throttle bodies

Guest ZmeFly

Guest ZmeFly

Has anyone ever tried to use another throttle body other then the stanza or 240sx TB.

I was looking at how cheap and plentiful the mustang tb's are and most are either 60 or 65mm.

I havent gotten the measurements of one but it would seem they would almost bolt right up.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, would a 65mm TB be to much?

Thanks for any thoughts or comments

Guest ON3GO

i have a S2000 stock t-body im gonna try to use one of these days.. its like 71mm or something stupid like that.

never looked at it next to a 240sx one so i dunno how it would mount up.. but one day ill see.

mike

Guest 81na ZX

Well, think about it this way. If a S2000 uses a 71mm TB, and its a 200+ HP NA 4cyl, and thats the stock size as determined by Honda, Shouldn't it be fine for a 200+ hp I6?

I also know, on DSMs we have a 60mm TB (turbo I4 obvioulsy). This 60mm is good enough to easily run 12s in a 3200lb car (AWD)

Guest 240Zdragon72

I did a search and this was the as close as I could come to what I was looking for. I have a '72 240Z with an L28. I also have another L28 that I am rebuilding for the street. I looked on Jim Cook's site for some parts. I found a Big Bore kit and a Supercharger. But this thread cought my eye. The fact that someone makes a twin turbo manifold for the L-Engine. I would like to know, Roggaman, if you got it in a kit? :? Right now, the engine in the car is tired and I am only using it so I can still drive to work. I went to the Tuner Bash today in Panama City, FL. Met one of the guys who owns a '71 Skyline. He told me about this site and maybe someone might be able to help me. He also said that there is a company in Australia that makes a kit for around $1,500 US. Would anyone have a link or e-mail address to suck a company?

In much need of some help,

Brian. :(

Guest 240Zdragon72

Sorry for the type-o. I ment to say "such a company." Please don't send me nasty threads on my mistakes. I get carried away sometimes.

Thanks Again. :oops:

just some info

ford aftermarket throttle bodys are currently made up to 95 mm.

unlike carb sizes being increased, throttle body size increases, increase flow without nearly the loss in intake runner velocity or fuel/air mix problems simply because the injectors and engine EFI controler are not nearly as dependent on flow velocity to meter and control fuel flow into the cylinders. now Im not saying that you need a larger throttle body on all aplications but youll rarely loose hp swapping up in size especially on a turbo application, what you might loose is a little bit of throttle crispness and control as the transition faze is passing a greater amount of air at faster rates

on my corvette I went from a 780cfm throttle body (48mm) to a 1000cfm (58mm) and I gained about 7-9 hp in lower flow restriction on a full roller 383, yet in the lower rpm ranges (just above idle) there was a barely noticable differance in the smoothness in which the engine transitioned

You know, with that tray that's under the AFM (on a 280Z) you could just about mount anything, if you made a braket to bolt it together.

I also had the thought of bolting an AFM to an intake made forthe 4-bbl carb? It would be sticking straight up, so you might stick an air filter on there to look like a (V8)?

just thinking...

Guest 240Zdragon72

I was talking to the guys at Classic Z, and thay said that the pic of the Twin turbo engine on the stand had some RB parts on it. If this is true, will it mount to the L engine? I cant seem to get a straight answer from anybody. I will try to post some pics of people who have done it before. :lol: Looking for some help in this, I will be stuck in limbo untill then.

:? thanks

Guest Fredrik280zx

240zdragon72: Roggamans manifold is his own creation, in fact almost everything on his car is "home-made". There´s no RB-parts in Roggamans engine.

Guest 240Zdragon72

:shock::shock: He made his own stuff!!!! That is some skill. I woulden't know of any place here in Florida that would be able to do that. I heared of a place in Aussie that makes a "Kit", but I forgot the name of it. Do you think that Roggaman could make another one? :( I just can't find anyplace that would spend as much time on a "old" car, as they say, to make it from scratch. People in the states have no vision. Where did he find the intake manifold? That might be where everyone thinks it is an RB part. I'll try to contact him through pm.

Thanks for the help Fredrik280zx

Guest 240Zdragon72

Yes, you are right Zmefly, that is one sweet looking engine in a ZX. How long did it take him to prep and drop the engine in? Mine right now is stripped on the engine stand. So, I was thinking this is a good place to start making a bad engine for a bad looking car. I will have to scan and upload my drawing of what the car will look like in about 18 mo.

Thanks for the input, and I will be waiting for a reply from Roggaman on the exhaust manifold.

Guest bastaad525

240sx tb's aren't expensive.... not sure how cheap mustang tb's are but I've seen 240sx tb's in the $50 range... not pricey at all for what you're getting, considering MSA 60mm is in the hundreds.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 240Zdragon72

That is crazy....$100+ for a tb. Gotta make a living somehow I suppose. I guess by the time I Twin Turbo my L-series 2.8, I could have sprung for the RB26DETT conversion and had money to spare. I'll see you guys later. :-D