HybridZ

Turbo 240Z died...Need Help

Earlier this week my turbo Z died on me. I just drove to the gas station put some gas in and went through the drive thru car wash (I was in a hurry :lol: ). On the way home the car just died after driving just half a block and I couldn't get the car restarted. The engine would crank 2 or three times then stop. Eventually it would not even turn over.

I thought it might be the starter so I changed it with a new one and got the same results. Tried starting it with jumper cables also but same thing. You could hear the solonoid pop out and try and turn the engine but it can't. Checked the timing chain and it's fine.

What could cause the engine to seize like that? I only drove about a mile and wasn't driving hard at all. No loud mechanical sounds when the engine died and no warning signs. Car is not low on oil. My plan is to get a junkyard engine and swap it in to get me on the road again then tear down my current engine to see what the hell happened.

Sounds to me like you don't have an engine problem so much as you have an electrical problem. The primary thing that electricity needs is a good path to follow, so I would recomend that you replace your battery cables (both of them), make sure you have full battery output while the starter is cranking then try again. There is the posibility that you may have gotten some condensation in your distributor which has the potential to kill your engine and make strange things happen.

If you can use a hair dryer on high heat to blow out the inside of your distributor cap, if the problem is beyond what I have mentioned let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Dragonfly

Try pulling the plugs and see if it turns over. It should turn over fast then and you can see if any water or coolant comes out of the spark plug holes. I also think you just have an electrical problem. Have the battery checked and if it is OK and the battery cables are good then get the starter checked.

I hope it is a electrical problem but everything else electrical works. I should have pulled the plugs earlier but I was convinced the engine needed to be pulled. I'll see if my friend can check that for me since I had the car towed to my parents house. Icice9?