HybridZ

Got my 350z 6spd for $250 (7 Pic's)

RB26powered74zcar

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this on a 350z site.

If a dealer chooses to rebuild a trans because of ther 3rd gear grind this is what they replace:

32609-cd000 Insert-shifting

32610-cd000 Hub and sleeve SE

32603-cd005 Spring-shifting

32620-cd011 Ring baulk

32260-cd004 Gear assy-3rd

32276-cd001 Bearing-needle

32274-cd000 Bush counter GE

32811-cd000 Fork shift, 3rd

34133-mb000 pin retainer

Seems the third gear grind is REALLY common. Some guys have 3 different transmissions installed. That really surprises me. I expected better from nissan. So far I am not pleased with the trans. It sounds noisy when idleing in neutral (like a worn bearing).

Everytime I shift quickly into third after accelerating to 5K+ rpms I get the grind. What crap. There wasn't much out there about the gear grinding before I bought the trans (aug 2003). At least I hadn't heard anything.

It's going to be awhile before I rebuild the trans. Guess I'll have to live with it for awhile.

• 5 weeks later...
I found this on a 350z site.

If a dealer chooses to rebuild a trans because of ther 3rd gear grind this is what they replace:

32609-cd000 Insert-shifting

32610-cd000 Hub and sleeve SE

32603-cd005 Spring-shifting

32620-cd011 Ring baulk

32260-cd004 Gear assy-3rd

32276-cd001 Bearing-needle

32274-cd000 Bush counter GE

32811-cd000 Fork shift' date=' 3rd

34133-mb000 pin retainer

Seems the third gear grind is REALLY common. Some guys have 3 different transmissions installed. That really surprises me. I expected better from nissan. So far I am not pleased with the trans. It sounds noisy when idleing in neutral (like a worn bearing).

Everytime I shift quickly into third after accelerating to 5K+ rpms I get the grind. What crap. There wasn't much out there about the gear grinding before I bought the trans (aug 2003). At least I hadn't heard anything.

It's going to be awhile before I rebuild the trans. Guess I'll have to live with it for awhile.[/quote']

Thaniel, thank you for this info. I haven't gotton that far with trying to use one of my two 350z trans with the RB motor, but its good to know that if one chooses, the trans can be fixed.

The way I'm looking at it is, I picked both of them up for pennys on the dollar. So even if I do decide to try and use one of them, and have to spend some more$$, I still got a good deal on them. At worst, I'm sure I could Ebay them and get my out of pocket $$ back... 8)

Is there any way you could provide the link to that 350z site with that info in it??

thank you

joel

Unfortunately my hard drive crashed and I don't have my bookmarks for that board. There wasn't much else on fixing it as everyone with a 350z just has it done under warrenty.

I'm still kind of pissed about the transmission being so poor. It's bad enough that I now skip 3rd all together. I didn't pay a ton for the trans but I was lead to believe that it was in good working condition.

From driving it more (over 500 miles so far). It seems to me that the syncro spring is too soft or something is not shimmed properly. Some Maxima's had incorrect bearing preload causing problems so it is not unheard of for nissan to screw that up.

I personally am hoping to find a cheap or free one near by so I can rebuild the trans and then swap mine out. I don't want to have my car down for long.

i dealt with that maxima bearing preload problem, the maxima transmission absolutely blows. i tried different clutches i changed my driving style i even stopped accelerating hard in an attempt to save trannies and ive blown 5 of them now. basically now the car just sits. i dont know what it is but they just dont handle any abuse.

i dealt with that maxima bearing preload problem, the maxima transmission absolutely blows. i tried different clutches i changed my driving style i even stopped accelerating hard in an attempt to save trannies and ive blown 5 of them now. basically now the car just sits. i dont know what it is but they just dont handle any abuse.

On the maxima, are you having problems with the bearings or something else? I put new bearings in to my wife's '87 5 speed many years ago. Measuring for the correct shims (and getting the shims) was a big pain but we put a boat load of miles on that trans and it never had any problems after I rebuilt it. Didn't baby it either. We have a '96 maxima right now and it seems as it is doing fine so far. Might have gotten lucky and got one that actually had the right preload to start with.

seems like 1 in 3 maximas from 95 - 97 had bearing troubles. i thought it might have been the goo or lack thereof on the case halves because that could be inconsistent and it might not always squish to zero thickness. anyways i blew 3rd gear twice and 2nd gear once ( just recently) I swapped a VLSD tranny out of a canadian maxima (very hard to find) in and blew that twice so far. so its bliss. i just want to get it fixed and sell it. i love the motor and i love alot of other stuff but i love my Z alot more lol so im gonna just drive that once its back on the road. but in the mean time two trannies in one year is two too many in the maxima.

• 1 year later...

That box looks a little bit like my Supra 5spd box (well it actually looks nothing like my Supra box, because that thing is f#cking huge), but the extension housing for the shifter looks really really similar,

I dont know if its possible with the 350z box, but because the w58's are put in all sorts of different cars you can swap the shifters around, i have heard of blokes grabbing the W58 from a supra (thats the one with the extension housing), and using the shifter's of another W58's to bring the shifter back on top of the box,

• 1 year later...