HybridZ

Got my 350z 6spd for $250 (7 Pic's)

RB26powered74zcar

I just received the 350z 6spd I bought for $250. I got it from a Nissan dealer in Texas that warrenteed several of these boxs after complaints of a slight grind in third gear when cold.

I can always have the third gear syncro changed if I find it grinds, even after using a synthetic gear oil.

I want to try and adapt this 6spd to my RB26 motor project I'm building right now.

I already have the RB25det 5 spd that is needed for this swap, but I thought it would be cool to have the 6spd.

The trans is much more stout than the RB box. The output shaft is massive. One other issue is that the shifter is 9.5" farther to the rear than the 5 spd Z trans, so I will have to make a custom center console.

What do ya think??? :?:

c643c6b0.jpg

b5e7cb45.jpg

4187819f.jpg

77f68b3a.jpg

d95be2e8.jpg

7d5fb9bd.jpg

e2bacb16.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It almost looks like you could take the rear shifter extender thingy off (looks like it bolts on???) and have the shifter in pretty close to the right place. Other than that it looks heavy. Is that just the picture adding 40 lbs? Have you weighed it?

Jon

man thats a long tranny.. how heavy is it?

very cool.. best of luck.

you have so many cool things going on ur Z.

mike

LOL... you ought to see it next to the reg N/A 5spd. It makes that one look like its on crack.....yelrotflmao.gif

It is next to the RB25det trans in those pics, but it really isn't that much bigger over all than a Nissan T5 I recon... in other words, it'll fit in the tunnel I'm sure.

I wish I had a pic of a 90-96 TT z32 trans to compare it to....

Wow...neat tranny' date=' I like the shifter mechanism with the rod - very slick. It does look beefy. How will it be adapting the bellhousing to the RB?

Yasin[/quote']

not sure on that yet... :D I have a AWD RB26 trans I will not be using, and I had a wild idea to cut bith flanges off and swap them and have them welded up.... think that would work...???

Awesome!....as long as you don't mind reaching back into the hatch when you want to shift! Actually, it doesn't look like it'd be that difficult to shorten the shifter linkage and move it up a ways but not sure it's worth it for a tranny that doesn't even bolt up and may not be as strong as the rb tranny. I dunno. Looks cool though and definately a nice price.

JT

I see I wasn't the only one with this idea. I got mine from the same guy, I would assume, a little while back. I am almost done having the shift location altered and the bell housing will be modified next week. You are on the right track with using the RB26 housing. I had a spare RB25 auto tranny and had three inches or so of it "sliced" off. The alignment will be the only potential issue when it is welded back up. The splines on the input shafts are the same and your RB25 clutch will work fine. I have a friend rebuilding it right now and once I'm sure he's fixed the problem with third, I'll try to let you know the best fix. I'm hoping to have my car on the road next month. Righ now I'm grafting a new piggy back system onto my RB26 which offers all the advantages of a stand alone at about half the cost. It even gets rid of the mass sensors. We'll see if it lives up to the hype. Good luck on yours.

Brian