HybridZ

Got my 350z 6spd for $250 (7 Pic's)

RB26powered74zcar

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel - The Z32 box looks very similar to the RB25 box as they are the same model and internals. F5R30A I believe. Only difference is the bellhousing pattern and the overall length. I have a late 88 Z31 turbo tranny on my shop floor - looks identical to the RB 25 box. Combine that with a RB26 AWD front case - Voila instant RB25 box. Hope this random info helps out.

Have you had the cover off of the shifter mech. yet? could be that you could bolt a shifter on there. Looks similar to the early F5W71C box shifter.

Doug

The last one went for over $300, but hey... maybe I'll have three before its all said and done...

Auction Ended at a C-note and change. Was everyone napping on friday afternoon?

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=2466748854

I wonder if I could put a Nissan 6 speed trans in my Mustang? Would that make it a MuZtanbrid?

The last one went for over $300, but hey... maybe I'll have three before its all said and done...

Auction Ended at a C-note and change. Was everyone napping on friday afternoon?

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=2466748854

I wonder if I could put a Nissan 6 speed trans in my Mustang? Would that make it a MuZtanbrid?

I wasn't.... :D I'm the winner...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chuckhanlon

I read this thread this morning and thought that it was real interesting. At noon, one of my customers called and wanted to see me. An Infiniti dealer. When I was there, I asked about this and was told to go see the parts mgr. He said they only had one now and they just throw them away!!!! I have no idea what I'll do with it, but will have it next week. Check your local dealers. It appears that this is a substantial problem for the dealers, and that there will be quite a few of theses trannys available. I'm sure we can put them to better use that a scrap metal dealer. Does any Nissan engine besides the 350z bolt up to this box?

well i have a maxima and the motor is absolutely silky smooth i love it. in my max i can pull c4 corvettes mustang 5.0s those big sledlike GTPs and stuff and thats in a FWD 4 door 3090 lb sedan ive even pulled a brand new maxima that has 265 horse but thats with all my custom modifications i made, nothing serious but i have a tuneable intake (change the distance between the filter and the maf affects intake velocity) and a custom ypipe i fabbed up. i would LOVE that motor in a Z infact if i find one of those trannies i may just go and buy another Z hehe

Guest chuckhanlon

Seriously, when I talked to the Infiniti guys today, they made it sound like I was going to do them a favor by getting it out of their shop! Look around, e-bay, Nissan dealers, they are going to be available until Nissan changes the tranny. Helluvan opportunity. :lol:

• 2 months later...
I see I wasn't the only one with this idea. I got mine from the same guy' date=' I would assume, a little while back. I am almost done having the shift location altered and the bell housing will be modified next week. You are on the right track with using the RB26 housing. I had a spare RB25 auto tranny and had three inches or so of it "sliced" off. The alignment will be the only potential issue when it is welded back up. The splines on the input shafts are the same and your RB25 clutch will work fine. I have a friend rebuilding it right now and once I'm sure he's fixed the problem with third, I'll try to let you know the best fix. Good luck on yours.

Brian[/quote']

Any new progress you can share Brian?? You've bound to have solved the 350z/RB26 swap by now.... :D

I've been a bit sidetracked lately. I'm getting the GTi-R and Skyline ready for the Z car convention track day in two weeks. I have had my friend look at the third gear issue and it seems the parts will be in the $200 range, but will not be especially difficult to fix. The bell housing is still sitting at my other friends shop waiting to be tacked together. I need to take one of my RB25 trannies over there for angle reference and it has not been on my priority list. I have yet to come up with anything more on the shifter problem. Here is what I have so far. If the extension part is shortened up to the U-joint, the shifter should be able to connect to the shaft pretty much as stock. If this can be done, six inches will be removed from the mounting location. That leaves about three more that are needed. I think simply bending the stock shifter will solve that last part. Three inches would be optimal, but is not exactly required. In the 350Z, the shifter needs to be pushed down in order to engage reverse. This seems to be only an issue with the linkage itself again and has nothing to do with the lever inside the box. This is pretty much where I left off. I intend to get back on this after the convention. I'll try to post pics and video of the track day and car show afterwards as well.

Brian

Guest zline

As far as putting the VQ35 trans onto the VQ30 motor

You'll need to change a few things

namely size down the input shaft

get the proper throwout

i do not think the bellhousings match up

as far as putting the Z33 gearbox on the RB26...creative. worth it? for $250 MAYBE...I would rather have just gotten the supra R154 6 speed box..lot easier to do.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

I would agree with Jon in that you could remove the shifter extension back to the universal joint with customised shifter mount. That said if you can make it fit' date=' given its size, it sounds like a cheap tranny. Neil[/quote']

You could definately do that as that is what I did. May be other options but ditching the extender and making a custom shifter that sat right on the back worked for me.

Tough part is getting a drive shaft.

I haven't spent enough time driving it to see if it has a 3rd gear grind (no exhaust yet) but I ran it through all 6 gears on my test drives and it felt fine.

i was under the impression that the VQ30 motors shared the same block as the VQ35 so i would assume that the 6spd gearbox would bolt up to any maxima motor from 95-2004 !

Yes...well sort of. Here are a couple of links for you. The block on the VQ30 maxima does bolt to the trans but that is only one problem. see the links for more info and a few pics. Sorry nothing on the shifter linkage. Shame too as I really like it.

http://www.torquecentral.com/showth...9953#post199953

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=320250&page=1&pp=30

wow man EXCELENT work. i would really love to do this swap into an early Z once my skills and equipment improve :) its truely inspirational. i made buddies with the local nissan dealership parts department and my boss thinks its a wicked idea. so maybe ill start my own in a year or so... or maybe ill make my maxima rwd heheh. it sounds crazy but ive taken loooots of measurements and it sure seems like it would fit really good with some hefty modifications to the chassis :)

Well your alot farther along than I am.... both of my 6spds are still standing at attention in the corner of my shop.

I will most likely wait until I have the RB26 with the RB25 trans up and running before I try the 350z swap.

Hopefully someone else will have done the leg work with all the little hang ups, before I'm ready to tackle the swap.... :D

BTW, awsome job on the RX7/VQ/350z merger....

joel