HybridZ

a repost

Owen

My post on what tach and speedo to use with the T56 disappeared so here it is again.

The less I work on my car and the more I sit around and read about modifications, the more confused I get!

Do I need mechanical or electrical speedo and tach for my setup which is,

T56 (1995 firebird)

ignition E6K

MSD 6AL

there is a link on zhome about using the stock tach with msd stuff, but I don't know how reliable and accurate the stock tachs are.

any ideas? thanks.

owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Owen,

I'm using the T56 and an MSD 6AL. What I did was NOT do the JTR conversion to the Trans. Buy a programable Speedo from either VDO(very nice) or Autometer and get the additional pickup that mounts at the driveshaft and measures rotation there. The VDO unit is my favorite because it does an "AUTO CALIBRATION" which is nice if you swap out taller or shorter tires or change gearsin the rear. This means that you won't have to worry about sending the tail shaft off and the speedo works well and reads to 160!

As for Tachs, I currently run a Mallory unit with built in Shift light and Rev limiter, but an autometer may be in my future! Just tap it off the MSD Tach terminal and wire it into the regular wiring harness!

Mike

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I think it is called their signature series. I'll check my Jegs catalog or go through my file of reciepts tonight and post it aftr my bike ride!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Owen,

Another option for a speedometer is a box called cable-x. It takes the output (electronic)from the t-56 and converts it (to a mechanical drive) so it will drive the stock speedometer. I have purchased it for use with my t-56, but don't know how it will work until I get it running...6 months or 2 years. The company has a web site....

http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm

Hope this helps...but probably just adds to the confusion.

Greg SmileZ

quote:

Originally posted by Owen:

My post on what tach and speedo to use with the T56 disappeared so here it is again.

The less I work on my car and the more I sit around and read about modifications, the more confused I get!

Do I need mechanical or electrical speedo and tach for my setup which is,

T56 (1995 firebird)

ignition E6K

MSD 6AL

there is a link on zhome about using the stock tach with msd stuff, but I don't know how reliable and accurate the stock tachs are.

any ideas? thanks.

owen

Thanks Mike and Greg,

I am a little less confused now...strange howo my summit and jegs catalogs dont mention the vdo progammable speedo. anyway

i had my parts guy order me a cheapo 5" autometer dash #3900 for around 90bucks and

the autometer programmable speedo for around 150 bucks.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html