HybridZ

How do I get a new title if it is lost?

Guest Blazer406

Guest Blazer406

Hey guys,

I got my 240Z a few years ago on a trade for some wheels and a 9" ford rear end. The car is kinda rough. The people that had it before me HAD a title, but couldn't find it when I got the car. They took my number down and told me they are sure it would turn up....... well ... I called 1 year later.... and it never turned up. I would like to start on my project.... and make a twin turbo'd small block chevy powered street car...... which requires a title.

What are my options? Someone at work told me I could apply for a lost title ... and it wouldn't be a problem....... but I can't find hardly any mention on the internet about how to handle something like this. Where do I go to do this?

Thanks

i've heard a few things about it. they say to call your local tax office and talk to them. if the car was last in your name you should be ok.. they'll just mail you a new one.

if it wasn't they will mail the old owner and have him sign a paper or something, releasing the car to you.. then mail you title.

just depends :P

I have done this a few times and the first thing is to make sure with the DMV that the car may be put back on the streets and ask them if you need to do anything to request a title. Sometimes they tell you to get the car registered in your name at the county clerks office where you will pay the taxes on the amount you payed. In several states before you go to the county clerks office you have to get the car inspected and insurance (Texas and California for sure). If the car is old enough you may only need what is a safety inspection while in others you may not need anything or a complete emissions test. I hope this helps since I have done this with I think it is 7 cars now.

Robert

Guest Blazer406

The car is not currently titled to me. The previous owner claimed they had it... just can't find it. I will call the tax office and see what they say.

Guest j2-real.com

I've had this situatation. There is a title transfer form that you fill out. Take it to the old owners, their signature has to be notarized. They sign it over and you fill out your info. That should be it.

holy crap.

the Z i bought literally isnt registered at all.. the title is out of whack and now i have to get the damn car appraised by 2 people, get it inspected, fill out a 'state of fact form,' get a bonded title, and a ton of stupid crap.. just to register a car i bought for 200$...

lady said i was screwed if i get pulled over trying to do the appraisal stuff.. or inspection.. yeah. told me to pay to have to car towed..

so get this.. i gotta pay MORE money, so they can tax me for MORE money.

i gotta say this is some stupid bs..

the state of texas pisses me off =|

I should mention, the replacement title companys who provide lost title replacement generally do a search of the VIN to indicate any problems so far as a "hot" sheet. Then if it is clear they register the car in Alabama or Maine, (these state require no titles for elderly vehicles) then have you transfer the registration to your state. Any state will have to accept the registration from these states as a "Title".

The base fee is about $250.00, but that still means you have to pay for the title transfer into your state.

If you have a friend in Alabama, he or she could just walk it thru, minimizing the cost for a title.

Good Luck

I remember my dad used to do this all of the time years ago. He had the name and address of some small town Judge, who would provide the paperwork required for a small fee. You will get a plate also.

Living in New Jersey, we would drive around in the Alabama tagged car for a year, until the tag expired. Lynrd Skynrd Rocks! :rockon:

I'm having the same problem right now with an 86 Z31 in Texas also that was originally bought from a police auction. The guy I was buying it from had to request a title in his name first according to the tax office wich I paid for and then sign it over to me.... well a few weeks later he should have had the title, so I call... no answer. Called the other number I had for him, no answer. Checked the address on the first registration that I paid for and its empty. so He's long gone.

I am thinking about checking with one of the title websites, the first one I checked said that they could do it for $100 on the website but didn't respond to an email. Thinking about checking with the one for $250 next, thats still easier than dealing with all the surety bonds and paperwork and crap for the bonded title process and would probably end up costing around the same price but with less work from me :wink: