HybridZ

How Much Power can it Handle

Guest HawaianZ

Guest HawaianZ

What's up guys? I am new to HybridZ, but I have been around 280's for about 8 years. I have just recently purchased an '81 280zx none turbo. Got it for $500.00. Car is running great and in overall good condition.

The problem is the car has about 288,000 miles on it. I looked into doing a turbo swap, but I love American V-8 muscle. I was just wondering If anyone knows how much hp/torque the '81 280zx 2 seater could handle. I was thinking of puting together a newer fuel injected block with the new Banks Twin turbos. The build up I am using could put out anywere from 800 to 1200 hp. I need to know if this is going to be too much of if the frame and body will handle it, with additional chassis support.

I aslo have been thinking of the convertible kit. What do you guys think about a 800-1200HP '81 280zx Roadster?[/img]

Guest HawaianZ

:evil: Thanks, alot guys. I though this sight had some good tech info. Now it seems like there is just a bunch of kids playing :!: . I am being serious. I was thinking of puting additional suport all around, including in the hood, side panels, etc. There is info here about guys with 500+ HP. Just how much HP has someone pushed out in a ZX, without a converible kit? The convertible kit was just an option by the way. And, I do not see why it would be that much of a problem. I've seen a covertible Fox body Mustang with a Big Block 508 running a three stage nitous system. It did not have any problem with the frame or Big HP.

Additional Suport though-out the body and frame, shorten ford 9" rear end, roll bar, wide fender setup running 11" or wider tires, High tech frame rail system in the rear-you guys don't think you can push that much HP?

Was your question rhetorical? You got honest answers, albeit in humorous forms.

At the power levels you are proposing, the Z will handle whatever the tube frame structure and spec built differential unit you provide are designed to handle. Like any funny car, the body will just be along for the ride.

There is a lot of tech info here, but at those levels, it is up to you and your engineering staff.

I, personally, am hoping for about 400Hp in an uncut 240Z with a few braces; I hope it will last if I don't race it a lot. (I'll watch the rear roof pillars for signs of cracking).

500 hp is about the upper range for "stock" unibody cars on HybridZ, where "stock" includes a roll cage, strut tower braces, subframe connectors, etc. Most cars, even among the dragstrip heroes, are at 400 hp or less. There is a handful of tube-frame cars approaching the 800 hp range. They are the purpose-built race cards to which some of the above posts alluded. Examples includes Ron Jones, Japtin, and Ratsun (try a search on those names). Point is, no one here has cracked the 1000 hp barrier - apart from bench racing, of course. If you have the engineering knowledge, the craftsmanship skills and the budget to assemble an engine with 4-digit horsepower output, then assembling a chassis to handle that power probably would not be a challenge.

Guest HawaianZ

Thanks, Michael

I knew that this was posible and I knew some of the guys out there had to be pushing some high numbers.

As far as building an engine into the 4 digit HP rating that is no problem. I have done it a couple times before. I just have not put that strong of an engine in anything this small or light. I am used to puting them in older american classics. Kinda like the '71 Dodge Challenger I just got finished with a couple of months ago.

Thanks again

Guest crazymike

Your combo would definitely be fast, but built to perform it won't be anything like other cars at the 1 grand mark. Not enough room for daily driving, but to me daily driver depends completely apon if it runs on pump gas or not. Get a 10 or 12 point, and make a bunch of tube chassis mods, I see no reason why not. As a matter of fact sound just like what I'd like to do to my 81 zx, but I gotta finish college first.

The only 4-digit output Z cars I've seen are GT-R hybrids in Japan, and the body is definately only there for the ride (and one heck of a ride it would be!)

If you're talking tube frame front-back than all is well, but the stock body with bracing is not going to hold up to that kind of power. You'll be tearing mounts & fittings left right & centre.

Drop the power level down to the 500-600HP mark, and you'll probably be in business. Also, how much more performance are you going to get for the investment? - even the 280ZX is a reasonably light car for 500HP!

With turbos and efi in the 800 to 1200 rwhp range you better be thinking about a purpose built race car with a tube frame. My car has a 95 inch wheel base up from 90 inch and things can get out of hand pretty quick with my suckie little small block. 8.40's in a short car is a ride. When the track is good it's a piece of cake but I have already had this car on the roof once. Don't feel like doing it again. One plus is that the new roof was 7 pounds lighter than the old roof. I run one carb and a glide so the power flow is pretty smooth but with a pair of turbos spooling up you may have your hands full. How fast are you wanting to go? There are new chassis certs below 8.50 now.

...Jon