HybridZ

Automatic 280zx turbo conversion to 5 speed NA tranny?

jtmny1999

I think this -might- be what it is.

There is a small spacer plate that you have to remove from the end of the crankshaft before you put the flywheel on.

I installed the entire cluch and transmission assembly from my '71 240z onto the (auto) 280zxt engine.

This is what worked for me.

I just put an 83 turbo engine that was automatic, into my 76Z with a 5-speed. I used the 76 280Z flywheel, the 83 Turbo Starter and one of Nissans 5-speeds rear section bolted to my original 4-speed bell housing.

HOWEVER, this drove me nuts for a while>> When you take off the automatics starter ring gear and expose the back of the crankshaft, you MUST remove a spacer/adapter from the back of the automatics crankshaft. It looks like it is actually part of the crank, but it isnt! Take it off! -- Listen to vashonz and I :wink:

Ya that frickin spacer got me on my swap too.After 2 clutches(didnt cook them,they just slipped)and almost tossing the new alum flywheel because I thought that it must be the problem I accidently banged the end of the crank with a used steel flywheel and this thing drops off tha motor onto my chest.Very frustrating.