HybridZ

Need rods shotpeened (who still does it?)

I checked with a couple places that told me this is kinda a thing of the past. I don't belive that, all I need to do is just find a shop still doing it.

Anyone have a good recomendation? someone you have used? or know of a person using them?

please pass them my way...

thanks

joel

(spelling edited) :oops:

Shot Peening has been a thing people have done to various parts such as rods and cranks to relieve surface stress in such a way as to prevent cracks from starting, making the part stronger.

The process has been used by racers for many years, and also in the aviation industry - My Dad, an aviation mechanic since WWII, told me of reliability problems in a Franklin aircraft engine whereby the crankshaft would break - and was remedied by shot peening the non- journal areas of the crank, apparently a completely effective fix. This story was in response to the same question I put to him - "Is this a good/worthwhile thing to do?"

As a result, every high - horsepower engine I've built has had the rods and crank shot peened. I believe it's good insurance.

Cryo treating is advertised as another way to strengthen/stress relieve critical parts, and many engine builders are doing this instead. I even read about one builder doing his parts with both - I forgot which was done first.

Shot peening is done by most automotive machine shops in my area...

I had mine done at hesco in town, you can send them yours if you change your mind and decide to spend you money on something else. I don't think it was to pricey, and they looked good too.

Thanks Lockjaw, think you could find out for me how much they'd charge for a set of six? I just read on Skylines Downunder, the RB26 rods are good to 700 hp with shootpeen and polish.

Or pass their ph # on to me. I used to have it from when I drove down to them and wasted my money on a in shop dyno tune.... :D , but I don't have it anymore...

thanks bud

Yeah I will get you their number. If you bush them for floaters, you need to do that after you shot peen them, its easier for them.

I have 240 rods in my engine, prepped per the How to hot rod you nissan book, bushed, polished, shotpeened, 2 oil holes drilled, and ARP rod bolts. They are supposed to be good to 600 hp, and they looked really nice when I got them peened.

Just don't be in a big hurry, they do good work, it takes time, and its not exactly cheap, but it wasn't bad if I recall. I think I had 400 bucks in mine, and I polished them myself. Everyone liked my polish job.

The guy who did the majority of my machine work said the rods were good to 5 to 10 psi as prepped. :roll: