HybridZ

first 350 swap

Guest project280zx

Guest project280zx

i dont know if this has already been disscussed or not. sorry if it has. i just picked up a 1980 280zx for 200 bucks. it runs, just needs an alternator, but i was wondering, which would be better for my first swap, a fuel injected sb 350 or a sb with carbs? :rockon:

project280ZX:

I have an 83 ZX with a carbuerated SBC/700R4. Suggest you buy the Jags that Run Z conversion book for starters. There are several things in the conversion book that does not apply to the ZX, but there is still enough substance and philisophy to make it a good investment. Plan on spending a lot more on the conversion than you plan, and a lot more time as well. There are lots of tried-and-true solutions to problems that will occur that the guys on the forum will be able to help you otu on. Do look at the search feature and you will find most everything has been covered in great detail. Good luck..

Dan

I too have a hybridzx -- 82 with a 355 & T-56...let me tell you -- unless you really know what you're doing and/or have a buddy that knows what he's doing and is willing to dedicate a lot of time to this project, it will cost you much more than what you are planning. I was going into this project thinking I should spend no more than $7500 on it :roll: . There is over $15,000 invested in it, and approx. $3500 - $4000 in just the engine alone. And I still don't have it painted yet or reupholstered the interior! :shock:

Just be sure you buy the JTR book and read and re-read it until you have a good grasp of how much the project will cost. Then tripple that figure. If this is your first project car then you will most likely be doing a lot of trial and error, which will cost you some $$$. Also, since the zx really isn't covered in the JTR book, mounts will require some creative thinking. I'm not sure how the 700r4 bolts in, but if you're going to put in a T-56, you better know how to weld.

Since this is your first project car, I would say you should just get a carbed 350 with the 700r4 tranny -- should be the easiest and most cost-friendly swap (if you're going v8 ). If you search through the archives here you will find some good links to businesses that sell good, cheap, rebuilt 350s, which that would give you a good head start.

Good luck