HybridZ

weight distribution/handling with respect to batter location

heavy85

I've searched and found lots of good ideas on how and where to relocate battery but I still have one questions I cant seem to find an answer to. From purely a weight distribution and handling perspective where is the best place to put the battery - if I had acess to scales I would use them but I dont and am sure someone on here has answered this question before.

I have a '72 240Z that is somewhat stripped w/no HVAC (no core no blower no nothing - PO decision not mine), no wipers (again PO decision not mine), and no spare. I weigh in at 220 lb give or take so I think the best place would be right behind the passengers seat on the floor - that is if I can live with the pass seat pushed forward a bit. Thinking through it a bit the car is pretty much symetric with the exception of the pedal/master cylinders towards the left front, the gas tank towards the right rear which is partially offset by the muffler on the left rear. The factory location would partially offset the pedals and master cylinders but then it's still a little nose heavy and I need something to offset my own substantial mass. Again everything into consideration, being as close to the pass seat and low as possible sems to be the optimal place. Anyone actually scaled theirs or have seat of the pants experience here?

This car will be a street driven weekend warrior/autoxer and I have to Optima red-top battery if that helps. And at this point I am not ready to cut out the rear floor like a lot of people have done to mount the battery...maybe someday.

Thanks

Cameron

I mounted my optima right behind the passenger seat. With non-reclining Corbeau seats, it's a PITA to get to, but I don't need to do that too often....

I also have no 'under dash' accessories, no windshield wipers etc.