HybridZ

Brush on Ceramic sound deadener technology

ZR8ED

I was at a local hot rod shop talking about sound deadeners for my car, and the owner mentioned a new product he distributes.

It is a ceramic based compound that is sprayable/roller or brush on. At 40 thou thick it has a 12 db sound reduction, and cut down heat transfer. He had some sheet metal partially brushed with this stuff sitting on a stove element. he had water boiling on the bare metal side, and the guy put his hand on the half that was coated with this stuff, and was right on the burner!!! :shock:

It is flexible, and is water resistant. You can use it on the floors either inside or outside.

looks like an awsome alternative to thick padding or heat sheilds for your firewall or exhaust tunnel. way better than a tar undercoating sealant, but gives sound deadending and heat protection.

Stuff was called "Lizard skin"

I am VERY interested in this stuff to seal up the seams on my 240 and get the heat and sound deadener protection as well.

Anyone heard of it? He showed me magazine articles etc on the stuff so it has been around for at least a little while. This guy does custom hot rod stuff only, and I've known him for a long time, and this doesn't look like some snake oil... I'm going to do some more research on it first, but I may end up trying it. The 240 interior is currently stripped out, so this is my only shot at it. If I can clean up the under side of my 280 enough, I may try it near tranny tunnel and firewall area to protect my feet from the heat of the turbo..

Looks promising so far...

Sounds like neat stuff. I was considering using a spray-in bed liner to seal & sound deaden my 280Z. I figured that, if they can do it in Jeeps & other off-road vehicles that are always getting exposed to moisture and a lot of body abuse, it ought to work i the Z.

Sounds good, a little pricey though:

Application

Environmentally friendly, water-based

May be sprayed, brushed or rolled on

One 2-gallon container covers 46-50 sqft @ .040"(about thickness of credit card)

Can cover hard to reach places like inner door panels

Cleans up with soap & water

No respirator needed; paper dust mask and protective eyewear

recommended

Minimal splashback or overspray

Performance

Reduces engine and solar heat transfer by 25-30°F.

Reduces noise by 10-12 decibels

Forms continuous airtight, waterproof membrane

Can be sanded, primed and painted

Used under fenders to eliminate starring

Withstands temperatures to 500°F.

Price: MSRP $185.00 per 2-gallon package plus shipping

I used the paint on bed liner for the bottom of my car and the wheel wheels,. I have not driven the car yet, but 2 years sitting it still looks goods as new. Its a great alternitive to black undercoating. If you scrape your hand over it u dont get the tar under your finger nails and its tuff as nails!

Ouch. The stuff sounds great but sounds a bit pricey. There was a thread from waaaay back that talked about a similar product from sound domain.com. I forgot what the name pf the product was, but you could spread it like paste or spray it(?) and it came in five gallon buckets if you wanted, both waterproof and otherwise. Just something to think about.

Davy

Guest ozcheek

All of the neat sound and heat barrier stuff on the market, seems to be a viable alternative if you don't care about weight. After reading the testamonials on the cool Lizard site, it apears that most everyone using the product applied three to four gallons to be really effective. I didn't see anything on weight per gallon but if its anything close to water, you are adding a fair amount of weight to the car. Does anyone know how these products compare with the aluminum backed insulation thats redily available? Oz

When I get to the body-restoration phase on my Z, I will be trying out some products from this site: http://www.superiorproductsusa.com/supertherm.html

I have talked to the owner several times, and read documentation on many real world applications. Seems like the real deal.... but once again, weight would be a factor for some. There are multiple products on that link, makes for very good reading, not to mention it isnt quite as costly as some of the other products mentioned here. The underlying tech was developed and implemented by nasa, and is under consideration by the US Navy for fire-barrier doors. (jet fuel fires are a serious concern) If I recall correctly, this product stood up to temps in the neighborhood of 2000 degrees for a surprising amount of time. I also hear that a variant is in developement for exhaust applications.

here is a better site for the various products. I am looking at Rustgrip, Supertherm, Superbase, and Hot Pipe Coating.

http://www.supertherm.net/home.htm

The interesting thing about Supertherm, aside from its heat control, is that it can reflect sound waves, causing up to a 50% decibel reduction. Not a good thing for the inside of a car with a High-end stereo, but interesting for the undercarriage.

Guest jjohart

Hi

hate to ask, but won't most of these products make my underhood engine bay look like crap, should I use it there? I mean, I'm having my whole car repainted in a new color, but they won't do the engine bay, so I was wondering if any of these sound/heat paint ons might possible look attractive....I notice all the sites DON'T REALLY SHOW THE SUBSTANCE!!!

John-83 280ZXT-going to silver/blue metallic-white paint underhood remaining!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest 350zgto

I recently got some Supertherm and HPC from these folks. The Supertherm goes on and acts like thick paint, pretty simple, took about 3 hours to dry @ 67 degrees farenheit. The HPC I am not too sure about. When the can arrived I shook it. It was a solid chunk. I called Supertherm, they said it is supposed to be that way. It requires a mechanical mixing machine and a lot of time mixing, they said it will become liquid without adding any thinner, etc. But, there are lead warning lables on the HPC can. They recommend applying Supertherm, then HPC then Supertherm over it, saying all noise and heat will be eliminated.