HybridZ

open exhaust, faster? or just loud...

HICKL

I plan on taking my car to the upcoming super chevy show in Dallas. I have a medium/mild (325 hp maybe) 350 running thru a single 3" exhaust. I have a flange in my exhaust basically right under the friver seat just after the two pipes turn into one. If I run it "open" at that point, he revs real good and sounds mean, but I am wondering if you really gain anything by doing this. I'm considering running it that way for the strip but don't know if I will gain any speed or just be obnoxious.

Thanks

Jeff

Youll lose a little low end torque but engine will rev up a little quicker, the 3" system probably flows well enough that its not a very huge difference, but probably feels like it is since it sounds like nascar. engine is basically an air pump and can really shoot out the exhaust faster with no exhaust, its worth a few hp, who knows how much, just be careful, every movement of the throttle can be heard for blocks with open exhaust..

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Torque loss depends on the length of your collector. If you collector is long enough, you will not lose bottom end torque. Torque is lost when scavenging becomes less efficient.

HP gain depends on how restrictive your muffler is. The exhaust pipe itself isnt small enough to be restrictive, but your muffler very well may be.

Other than that, it just sounds nice un-capped! Enjoy :rockon:

There is a foot or so of 2 1/2 pipe after my collectors then they join together for about another 12 inches before it would be open. I have a super turbo muffler which I'm sure is causing some restriction.

As I am typing, I realize that this is more of an exhaust post than a SBC post. I apologize for the placement in the SBC forum. :oops: