HybridZ

Supra 2JZ-GTE swap into 240Z (pics)

cyrus

Here is my progress, (Marcos may host them...) Engine was moved back .5 inches by moving the brake lines. I do not want the steering to be to stiff due to a heavy nose. I thought of massaging the firewall with a sledge hammer about .5 inches more, so I can move the engine back further.

As you can see the shifter will exit behind the stock location.

The turbos my bake all the brake lines and electrical.

Guest Your Car is Slow

So it will fit in the stock mounting location of the original motor?

Any thoughts on scrapping the stock twins for a large single...would clear up some room for you on the pass side frame rail area. :)

I found these two intercoolers, will they easily fit? I removed both horns so my core area is all open.

This auction is for one intercooler This intercooler has a core size of 20"x12"x 3" this is a SPEARCO race intercooler, (BAR AND PLATE) NOT LIKE THE OTHERS ON E BAY. THIS ONE IS 3 INCHES THICK. The complete intercooler measures 27.5 X 12 X 3 from entank to endtank. It uses a SPEARCO BAR AND PLATE CORE.

or

This auction is for one intercooler. This intercooler has a core size of 17"x12"x3" this is a race intercooler, NOT LIKE THE OTHERS ON E BAY. THIS ONE IS 3 INCHES THICK. The complete intercooler measures 24.5 X 8 X 3 from entank to endtank. It uses a SPEARCO BAR AND PLATE CORE.

Guest Speaker

2jz's arent THAT heavy :) one thing that weighs the GTE motor down is the stock turbos; all that plumbing and crap weighs quite a bit...

but i think i'd trade a bit of heft for a motor that can handle 800rwhp+ on the stock short block and still be reliable

Guest bastaad525

but i think i'd trade a bit of heft for a motor that can handle 800rwhp+ on the stock short block and still be reliable

Actually, 900hp :) and counting.

I think it was in Sport Compact Car magazine, if not then I'm not sure where, but an article on some guy who got into the low 900's at the wheels, I think like 930hp, on a bone stock-blocked supra motor.

Ever since reading that article I've been convinced that the 2jz motor is the best built friggin motor on earth, and a real bargain. If I were ever going to swap another turbo motor into anything, this would be the motor I'd go for.

I mean seriously... do you guys know of ANY other motor capable of churning that much power out of a stock block?

Guest porschephile

Rb26's can handle ~600rwhp stock. People have made more than 600rwhp on stock blocks. With a metal headgasket and a few other things they could handle more. The 2jz is a very durable engine capable of making huge amounts of power reliably. However, people shouldn't get confused thinking that 980rwhp stock block mk4 is driving around daily running at the 980rwhp level. Yes, they can run a few dyno runs at high power levels like that, however if you run at that much boost all the time, that engine would not last long at all. The same goes for the rb26. If you want to make a lot of power reliably, you do need to upgrade lots of other stuff. Bolting a T88 w/ fuel mods/management and bolt-ons on a 2jz or rb26 could make 800+rwhp or something but, if the engine is stock it isn't exactly going to last very long if you drive it often at that power level. My advice, don't be ghetto! :wink: Spend the money and build it reliable. Yeah, it's expensive as hell (costing me another ~$8-10k) but at least then the engine will last a long time. Add a metal headgasket to that 2jz and you should be good for quite a bit of power reliably though.

Actually, the Ls1 is extremely light for a pushrod v8. Aluminum block and heads. I think I saw weights somewhere and it was about 400-450lbs w/ accessories?! That's as much as my Vg!

Guest Your Car is Slow
if the engine is stock it isn't exactly going to last very long if you drive it often at that power level

Noone does...that whole "boost controller" concept comes into play here.

Guest bastaad525

I dunno, I have to find that article, but I got the impression that this guy who made the 900+rwhp was a daily driver. I remember the article went out of it's way to point out this was NOT a trailer queen, rather it was a street driven car. Though I can't really say if he left the boost that high or not... who knows? If you're pushing 900hp, it don't matter because I'm SURE you aren't really getting on it enough to accelerate wear on the engine, even if you left the boost set that high, you would rarely ever end up putting your foot down.

I'm pretty sure the stock supra block is stronger than a stock RB, as I've never heard the outrageous numbers like that coming from RB/skyline people. Hey... I'm a huge nissan fan and love my Z, but I've always said that Toyotas make the BEST motors and just cannot be beat for reliability.

Guest Zachb55

hey cyrus, you got mail, swap looks like its coming along well, keep it up man!!! do you have means of making your own mounts?

-Zach

Bastaad:: have you not seen the (I think) 1300 All wheel HP skyline in austrailia? it is a street driven car.. it is called the GTR700. now I am not sure if the bottom end is stock..But it runs 8.90's at 150+miles an hour.. and has full interier and not just a track car.. How is that for nissan making power.. Here is the link..

http://www.exvitermini.com/ go to movies and then GTR700..

Guest Your Car is Slow
but I got the impression that this guy who made the 900+rwhp was a daily driver

noone drives around with the boost turned up that high....only to race. Its a matter of turning a knob.....it would be silly and dangerous to drive around in traffic on a daily basis with 900hp.

Guest bastaad525

*shrug* well I wont debate it. I highly doubt any motor making 1300hp at the wheels has much stock anything left. And I'm not debating that the RB motors can also be extremely powerfull motors while still being reliable or that they are great motors. Just that I've never heard anyone getting as much power out of a stock RB block. And that I would and will always credit Toyota with making better engines than even Nissan.

About driving around with 900hp... well... some people do drive around like that, I think. But you gotta figure, if it's a turbo motor, it's not really dangerous... that power is only gonna come on if you get on it, and I imagine lag is enough that there would be no getting into boost 'by accident'. You'd really need to floor the pedal. But you're right... Since I use an underhood home made boost controller I forget that most guys have nice little units inside the cabin that they can adjust boost on the fly while driving, and most guys with cars like 900hp supra's probably do turn it down when they dont need it. But I bet there's a couple who are freaks and leave it up all the time....