HybridZ

My first Z!

CableSrv

Well I haven't really introduced myself yet and well... i've been pretty much just reading threw the boards since 2 years ago and fell in love with the idea of a v8z. I've hardly posted because for the most part I didn't have a z to really look at while asking questions... till now!

as of about a month ago maybe more I bought a 1972 240z from a person on classiczcars.com in irving texas! car was in very good shape and easily considered a daily driver. Now I wasn't entirely new to z cars at that time as my mom had 2 z's before a 280zx and a 300zxt first gen, however after hearing this z start up I knew I was in love. The z already had a msa 6-1 header and full out exhaust. Guy said he even added a 5speed trans, 280 ac unit and 280 radiator.

He proceeded to let me take it for a nice test drive with my buddy and told me to let her open and so I proceeded to!! all i could say was ..... with a VERY large grin. I couldn't stop smiling at all!!! Now this was my first drive and all I can say is for an old car this beast can handle!!!

Well the offer was 3500 for it cash and so I bought it! I've since did a full fluid change and refurbed the gas tank and vent lines. still need new weather seals and shifter boot tho.

as of right now I've gotten more ahold of how to drive the z than when I first drove it and this car still makes me grin beyond any car has before. I've sat in a viper and this car even tho it's not as comfy I'd still prefer my car over the viper.

this is the person I bought it from and his gallery as I still haven't gotten my pictures developed to put on the web myself.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4870&thumb=1

I original was wanting to do a ls1 swap but the more I look at it and with my current income ls1 might be to much to try for, so i've lowered my goal to a lt1 but eventually will either supercharge or turbo it. I do plan to get a full urethane master kit, r230, full coilover, mml 13 inch extreme brakes and rear conversion, 280zx master cylinder and brake booster, t56/lt1 and vintage air ac system. along with fiberglass flares, hood, and rear hatch, along with nice side pipes.

That is my current goal and will probably take me a year or 2 to get there but it's what I plan!!

my dream is a darton wet sleeve 427 ls1 with 6.0 aluminum ls6 head ported with a .650 lift cam with low duration and magna charger set at 6-10psi :D can we say 600-700hp ?

congrats on your first z!

word of advise.....dont take it all apart untill you have everything you need without having off the road too long

and watch out for the ''while i'm at it"

it will kick ya in the butt!

enjoy the z it looks great!!

congrats on your first z!

word of advise.....dont take it all apart untill you have everything you need without having off the road too long

and what out for the ''while i'm at it"

it will kick ya in the butt!

enjoy the z it looks great!!

Wise words!!!

Well, second time trying to post this! :(

I know this car!

I was up at a Hooters one night for a friends birthday and as I was leaving I saw this Z sitting out front. I turned around and asked everyone in the place who's Z it was. Come to find out the guy was meeting someone up there to buy it. He was asking $4500 at the time. It looked like a nice Z from the outside lights of the place. I hope you enjoy it!

As wisely mentioned in a previous post, get all the parts you need for a particular job and do that job. Or buy everything you need to do the whole project and once you have it all, then do the job. This will help you to enjoy owning AND driving your Z.

If I can help in any way, feel free to email me. I hope I can atleast point you in the right direction or even help you do the work.

Does this mean you are going to join our Ft.Worth Z club now, if you haven't already?(sorry,shameless plug)

We're meeting in acouple weeks!

cowtownZclub.org

Enjoy your Z!

Well I've already spoken to phantom once on that subject. Since I work monday threw friday from 3pm to 12am it's impossible for me to come to the meet, since you guys seem to do it on thursdays.

Then I guess i'm glad I got it for 3500 :D

To be honest i'm not sure what this car REALLY has in it as this z sounds MEAN. So far 3 ppl have asked me what i've got in it cause it doesn't sound normal, hell it already SOUNDS like it has a small v8... then again only reason I think is because 6-1 header no cats and straite exhaust.. but even then that still shouldn't equal a v8 rumble ?

would be kewl if someone could check it out over the weekend and see if there is more done to this car than I think.

So, you have spoken to Bill(Phantom). Good to hear you have spoken with the right person. Now I know you have the bug, especially if he had his Z with him. Since I know his wife is driving his other Z then I know you probably got to see his "other" Z.(all respect intended). Very nice Z! Hopefully you got a ride. By that, I KNOW you have the bug!

I keep looking at my "rust bucket" of a $200 '77 Z and I keep thinking big flares, rag top and an LS1 w/ 6 speed! Maybe after I sink all my extra money for the next 3 years into my '74 I might start considering what to do with the '77.

I actually think I posted to one of your posts on here about our club. Thats perfectly ok. If anyone can, I understand how work can get in the way.

Let me know when you want to meet up and I can probably tell you what has been done to it. I may have some parts you may want.

Congrats...beautiful and very clean car.

Welcome to ownership to a vehicle that will introduce you to:

1) Buyer's remorse

2) Make you say over and over "I can't believe I just spent that much on...."

3) Make you also say "what did I just freaking do...."

4) Make you loose a fair bit of skin, blood, knuckles

5) Loss of time...money...time...money...time...money

But....at the same time introduce you:

1) A new level of patience

2) Gratification that no dollar amount can ever equate to

3) A car that is recognized world over as a true and ever desirable classic

4) A driving experience that will have you hooked for life.

5) A smile that brings that 14year old boy out every time you sit in the car and fire it

6) When you park it at the mall, movie theatre or wherever you look over your shoulder as you walk away and feel the greatest sense of pride.

I would not in a million years trade Z ownership. I just can;t believe it took me so long to finally buy mine.

Well good luck and post with more updates.

Yasin

Ok well today I decided to check the engine out see if I could find printed production numbers.

well I couldn't find the engine number BUT I've found the head number and it's a N42 which means this isn't the normal head that goes to this engine!! dunno if it's ported or has an aftermarket cam yet till I tear the head off. Also checked radiator fluid again and I think I blew a headgasket. So.... might as well buy another headgasket and port the N42 head :D and refill the radiator after a flush again :D

Ok I have a slight problem

Yesterday on the way to work having alot of spirited driving on 114... and 635 the car seemed to start overheating. Almost hit the end of the gauge but the light never came on saying I was to hot.

today I checked the car out and found that I have a n42 head, and while I was at it I checked the radiator fluid and found that I was lacking some water!!! So I promptly added more water. Decided to let the car run a bit to see if it would take in more water and it didn't. Let it get all the way warmed up and noticed small bits of OIL!!! starting to think me overheating yesterday caused something either blown headgasket or something as this wasn't like that before when i swapped out radiator fluid. I just find it odd.

So I originally planned to port the head and well might as well do it this weekend. So anyone know where I can get a cheap head gasket ? Any recommendations ? info on what to do to take head off ? tricks of trade ? hell anything :D

Ok well being at work I got a little annoyed of not knowing what's in my car and researched where the engine code is and found that it's a L28 block with N42 head bolted to the original dual su carbs.

since I've not taken the valve cover off I can't say weather or not it has a aftermarket cam.

Surprising what I didn't know of when I bought the car, not even sure the owner I was buying from knew if this was not a stock engine !!