HybridZ

Power Steering Racks Redux-Subaru WRX & SSI

Ok, I've searched for an old thread that talked about Subaru WRX and SSI power steering racks as appearing to be a near bolt in for 240Z. I can't find any information relating to this thread... . Is it lost in cyberspace or have I been searching the wrong forums? Has anyone done a Subaru WRX or SSI power rack swap? I'm really concerned about centering the rack and having equal length "tie rods" from the rack to the front wheels. The Rx7 rack is too long on the passenger side. The Miata rack appears to entail about the same fabrication skills as the late Mustang, but I would like to have a "quicker" rack than the Ford product. Any help out there?

Thanks.

g

Guest Anonymous

I've spent the day looking at my STI rack. What I've come up with is that I have some inner tie rods that will fit the STI rack and will fit the stock Z tie rods. These are from a 280zx power rack. Just need minor modification to work. Can any one give me a diagram that shows how to run the lines from the pump to the rack? Mounting looks like it will be straight foward. Mark

I'm using the Mustang rack on my L28 engine. I wonder what impact the Mustang p.s. pump will have on the engine, but I know it can't be more than the a/c pump. I was told, however , that the 95 Mustang rack isn't too particular about the pressure, so maybe I can swap in a pump from a 4 cyl. engine (higher RPM engine)?

:?

thx

BTW, I chose the Mustang rack because it's more available now.

i was working on my own swap with the rack from a 91 subaru legacy until i got too busy with work. i'm trying to find all the info i had when my hard drive crashed also. i can tell you that the rack has the same ratio as my early 260z rack but it also has an extra inch or so of extra length on the rack which i suspect would have to be addressed with some sort of stop so that you wouldn't be able to turn the wheels into the frame rails. other than that, the only other thing i can remember off the top of my head is that i got the track rod-ends look like they will work but the end fitting and ball (threaded piece that the track rod-ends fasten to) can and need to be shortened for the system to work.

as far as bumpsteer goes, i believe that if the pivot point on the steering (the ball joint on the end fitting) isn't in the right position in relation to the pivot point on the lower control arm then bumpsteer will be affected.

Does anyone recognize the P/S pump in the second pic? If it’s GM ….then what year? Where is his fluid reservoir?

Bump steer won’t be effected if the two pivot points on the racks remains unchanged. The stock 1st Gen Z is 25 ¼ in. This is as close as any one has seen so far.

• 10 months later...
Guest bswanstrom

So in researching Subaru racks, are all of the impreza racks the same? For example, does a mid-90's Impreza use the same rack as a 2002 WRX/Sti? Does Subaru use the racks on other cars? I searched around for previous posts, but not sure of the answer.... Is there a Subaru part number? Getting ready to pull the trigger as my stock 73z rack is about toast.....