HybridZ

is this Z worth it for me?

Guest skittyscott

Guest skittyscott

hey guys, i have posted a little about this thing before but i was wondering your opinions on my final purchase. the Z im currently looking at is a 72 240 that has been sitting for 16 years. 16 years ago, the first owner was in an accident with it and had it fixed with all OEM parts. the interior was also stripped for a complete repaint. but, the paint started cracking and peeling very badly and the owner lost interest i guess. the interior is still stripped out and the paint is still cracked and peeling. since the car has been sitting so long, it will need new brake lines, turned rotors, new wheel cyl's, gas lines, prolly all new sealing for doors and such as well as tires because im afraid they will be dry rotted to hell. the good points of the car are as follows...

1) no rust at all!

2) perfect interior

3) low miles

4) a lot of NOS (i guess) parts

5) perfect dashboard

6) some custom mods like side markers and flares

7) did i say no rust?!

now, the guy wants $2000 for it and im not sure if my current budget will allow for that much to spend on a car in that condition. the hard thing to remember is that im in upstate NY and these types of cars hardly ever come around in this condition. do you guys think i should just pick this car up and store it for a little while until i get the money together to fix it all up, pick it up and work on it slowly to bring it back to life, or just not buy it at all?

thanx a lot

scott

If all the pieces are there like you say, then that car is well worth 2K. You might try offering a little less since it sounds like you will have to tow the thing away on a trailer.

Just make sure you get all the parts the owner can find. It could be tough trying to track down a box of miscellaneous fasteners. A lot of stuff could get misplaced in 16 years.

Also don't be so quick to start replacing parts. Flush all the fluids first (and I mean all the fluids, front to back) and if any of the rubber show signs of cracking, then replace them in sets. Surface rust on the rotors and drums will rub off is short order. You might sift through the archives on how to resurrect a car that has been sitting. There have been several good posts full of suggestions. Mechanically you could probably get it running quicker than you think. Paint is another matter.

The one thing that does scare me is the "NOS parts". If that thing had nitrous, they may be low miles but they probably aren't easy miles! But 2K is a good price for a rust free 240, even if the engine needs a complete overhaul.

Is this a good deal for you? If you have a place to store it and a second car to use as a daily driver, then probably a good project car. Don't buy it if you have a time table where you need to get it running for transportation any time soon.

Guest skittyscott

when i said "NOS" i meant New Old Stock. as in, the parts are old, but they have never been used. the car was a daily driver for a dentist in its past life and was suposidly never abused especially with nitrous.

sorry for the confusion.

scott

Yes, without question it's worth it. The question is, is it worth it to YOU. Oh, wait - someone already said that. Damn.

Anyway, what I was going to say before someone stole my thunder was, if you can barely afford $2k for this car, you can't afford it. From the way you describe it, it's going to cost about another grand to get it properly sorted out, and that's before paint and body work. If you can scrape together $3k, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, this car will just take up space until you get it roadworthy, and that time will take its toll.

Oh, and don't buy it for the dashboard. I'd bet dollars to donuts that once the car's on the road again, the twisting and shaking will crack it like humpty dumpty. Not to be negative, but thirty year old vinyl is horribly delicate, especially when it hasn't been treated with lots of TLC for its entire life.

Now that the practical advice has been dispensed - would *I* buy it with only $2,000 in my bank account? You bet your butt I would. But that's me.

Good luck!

Scott

Guest skittyscott

if i were to buy this car, i would spend the money i have right now for just the car... what i have right now would cover the purchase of the car, shipment here, and storage for a little while. i have another car to use as a daily driver and i hope to be able to store the z until late summer/winter until i have saved enough over the summer to fix it up. im still in college BTW. so does it really sound worth it to buy it and then just throw it back into storage so long as i know its MINE?

thanx

scott