HybridZ

MSS tuning update, or lack of tuning

I know some people are interested in my adventures with MSS, so this is what has been happening: Got the JSK fuel rail and DSM 450cc injectors installed, but it looks like one injector is bad. That is what I get for using used parts. Hacked my laptop and set up the power so I can run it straight from the car battery. Remounted my HEI module but now it is getting hot, not enough of a heat sink in the new spot. Ordered all of the couplers and pipe I need to install the intercooler. That will be in this week. Ordered the ACT clutch kit. I need a new clutch to be able to tune because I was using a 225mm stock clutch from the 240z and that was slipping real bad. The Tech Edge Wideband unit is assembled and tested, but a new calibration utility is coming out that compensates for altitude during calibration.

So, the bottom line is that I have to get all injectors working properly, install clutch, install IC, and get the new wideband cal utility and then I will be tuning and testing. Almost there.

when you say your HEI module is getting hot...why, is it as simple as adding heat sink or relocating it, please elaborate.

At first I had it mounted to an aluminum heat sink which worked great. Then to clean things up I mounted it to metal and this does not sink enough heat, so I need to put it back. Nothing wrong with its operation, it just needs to be mounted to a heat sink to stay cool.

But the REAL question:

Did mounting your HEI module like mine cause noise in the system where you had none before?

My relay box gets warm, but not above 140 while running.

I would be happy toget rid of the jumping tach so I COULD tune... :x

My idle time now is overthree hours, and goes fine, just has the tach, and now it's not keeping the constants.

I am thinking about bribing JeffP to come over and scope it, and make a final solution. Possibly a clamping diode across the coil, or something.

I still don't understand the interference happening while the car is not running.

Until then, I am concentrating on refitting the interior bits and gettign the headlights installed, stuff like that.

I have given up until I can hook a scope to it. :? Maybe that will point a finger!

BTW, what does your CHT sensor read after warmup? Mine hovers around 160 degrees, and never seems to get much hotter sitting at idle...

Tony, since you mention the CHT readings are off and I know you have been using different megatune codes, did you keep track that the correct .inc files are in each version of megatune. You had to make new .inc files from easytherm to recalibrate for the stock CHT sensor and if these didn't get moved into all megatune folders by accident that would cause different readings. Only thing I could come up with.

So, the bottom line is that I have to get all injectors working properly, install clutch, install IC, and get the new wideband cal utility and then I will be tuning and testing. Almost there.

Got the ACT clutch installed and it is working as advertised. I am holding off on the IC install until I do a little tuning and testing first. Wideband is all set up and the bung is in place, but I haven't used it yet because I am still having problems with my DSM injectors. :(

I have 10 DSM injectors, so you would think I could make one set of six that work. This weekend I messed with it for two days, first realizing I had fouled a couple plugs. Then I get everything working better, runs decent. Check the plugs and 4 of them look the same, running too rich. The other two look lean, showing the white insulator. Tonight I will try changing those two and see if I can get all six plugs to look the same. I am not going further until they all look the same. I am almost to the point where I just send them in to RC engineering and get them tested and matched. The setup ran perfect with the stock injectors, so I know all of the problems are just with the DSM injectors. The good news is that this is the last step before te car is driving again.

I added the full exhaust to mine right now, so I can troubleshoot with out fear of a backfire throwing a ball of flame out the downpipe! :D

I also harvested another stock coil setup and may try that before hooking up the scope to start checking the interferences.

I will double-check the .inc files, I'd not thought of that, but the in-car gauge is reading fairly cool too, so maybe it's just running cold. I can't remember if I installed a 160 degree thermostat or not... May have to pull that and check it again. Normally I stamp the thermostat temp on the housing for later reference, and this one has no stamings leading me to believe it's still the junkyard thermo in there---which should be 190 or thereabouts.

Then again, with the wrong .inc files it may be off, but as my recollection, even without the bias resistor changes, the differential between bosch and GM sensors was not that great. Come to think of it, the inlet air temp shows 103 to 131 depending on what I'm doing, so I'd be inclined to think it was correct.... :?

More checks I guess. On the other hand, at least I'm home for the next two weeks at least, so I can play in the evenings and try to get some more accomplished. If nothing else, install the new junkyard interior so it at least looks decent....

Thanks for the update Bryan! I'm off to install the slave cylinder and master so I can move it now. Screw it! If it runs, I'm gonna at least TRY to drive it so I regain some semblance of self-esteem by saying "it moves" at least! :lol: