HybridZ

Supertrapp or Dynomax??

Guest uberhahn

Guest uberhahn

Anyone have a soundbite of a N/A L28 with a Supertrapp? How 'bout one of the Dynomax Super Turbo series?

I like the tunability of the Supertrapp, but I've heard (pardon the pun) that they can be too loud. My 240 /L28 is a daily driver with an occasional road race / autoX.

Thanks for any info.

uberhahn

• 7 months later...

No soundbite, but I have a Dynomax Super Turbo for a Chevy truck, 3"in dual 2" out, and it's kind of loud, I also put a glass pack on it to quiet it down some. It has mainly a drone inside, not too loud outside, but I have 3" pipe from before the cat back because I'm going to swap a V8 soon, thats probably why it drones. You could see right through the muffler at the right angle! With a 6, I'd only go with 2 1/2" pipe. I liked the look of the 2 tail pipes though.

Look in the album section under video and "powerslide" and you'll see my Z getting sideways then accelerating and decelerating right in front of the camera. I'm running a MSA P.O.S. 6-1 header with 2.5 mandrel exhaust into the SuperTurbo. JC Whitney used to have them for ~$30.

I ran the trapp for 2 years and replaced it with the muffler Dave Rebello has on his dynos; Sebring Tuning (Jim Cook Racing) I have the 8" round one (the muffler that is). If you want to hear it go to: http://www.baddogparts.com then scroll down on the right and click video 2 I think it's the best all around sounding muffler there is and have gotten many a compliment on it. It is loud but not as bad as the von trapp....

I've always been partial to how the ole 'trapps sound on a Z, but they are a bit loud. A little while back, a friend and I swapped out a generic turbo muffler with a 4" suppertrapp and I couldn't beleive how much louder it was. We started out with 18 discs, and worked down to 12, which was still too loud, but we left it at that anyways. The car (280Z) was pretty much stock aside from a mild cam and MSA header.

Looking back at it, I wonder how much quiter a 5" series would have been. The original location has plenty of room for it.

I heard a carb'd and cam'd Z with resonators and dual 3" supertraps.. easily the best NA Z I have ever heard..

As for the 5", my buddy has one on his fiat( dual webbers and a header) and it is freaking loud.. so loud it scares the bejeezus out of the ricers in town( my buddy also drives like a madman and thinks because his car sounds like a small airplane that he should practice "flybys" on the ricey honda folks)

I'm still tempted to try one on my turbo Z.. backpressure be dammed, at least to hear it once..

Sam