HybridZ

Plasma cutters are really cool

silicone boy

About a month ago, I used some credit I had built up on Paypal (from selling miscellaneous parts on EBay) to partially purchase a plasma cutter. It's a Miller. I could never justify it before, but since I got the windfall, I figured, why not? It's totally awesome! The neighbors no longer hate me because I'm making too much noise with a cutoff wheel, and it cuts through metal like a knife through butter. Sure, I don't use it as much as, say, my mig welder, but when it's needed, it sure gets the job done better than any other tool. How did I live without it? I think I'm going to make a giant Z emblem out of sheet metal with it.

I've only used mine a few times thus far, but one "project" saved me $150. Remodelling my kitchen (which is why I have no time for the Z), we picked out a particular stainless steel sink. It comes in over mount and undermount, the latter being $150 more!. Same sink, just that the undermount had the lip part cut off. So, I bought the overmount and just zipped that lip right off. Took about 4 minutes. Rockin.

You know what's fun is cutting circles. Take a roll of tape or something, lay it down on the sheet metal victim, grab torch, Zip. Instant circle. No justification, just fun is all. When I started hunting around for more victim metal I came to my senses and put it away. Too much work to do anyway....

My bro did the same thing when he got his plasma cutter, and then again after he found a Henrob torch for $100 (Regularly $399ish) I even like playing with that thing though =) You can weld AND cut with it. He has a few Dr. Pepper cans he welded together with it while he was practicing =)