HybridZ

Nissan aftermarket A/C

iflyfast1

I've got a late 74 260Z, and I'm looking to install A/C. I called Courtesy Nissan and they said their system would only fit a 1970-1973 240Z. Does anybody know who the manufacturer or distributer is for this A/C? I'll like to give them a call to find out what the difference is. Also, does anybody know who manufactures the Motorsport Auto kit? Thanks. :?:

don't go factory ac as it is heavy as fat cow ready to be eaten.

go with vintage air ac systems much better climate controll and MUCH lighter.

http://www.vintageair.com check out the catalog and look at the gen II compac, or mini series.

few ppl on this board are actually using those systems. not sure on price but probably much cheaper than a oem one that nissan would sell you, plus it's lighter and probably alot better at cooling the car off

I've been looking at the vintage air systems as well. It looks like a nice set up. I would like to keep the interior stock looking though. I'm not too thrilled about removing the stock control unit and replacing it with the vintage air control. I don't think it would look good in a Z.

I've got a late 74 260Z, and I'm looking to install A/C. I called Courtesy Nissan and they said their system would only fit a 1970-1973 240Z. Does anybody know who the manufacturer or distributer is for this A/C?

The difference is in the A/C console. The 240 dashboard wasn't built with A/C in mind. The temperature control is usually located under the dash above the driver's right knee. In the 260 (the later years, at least) the A/C control is integrated into the slider controls. In other words, 240's offer you heat or vent, late 260's and 280's offer you heat or cold air.

IFLY: 2 years ago I bought Lone's old '72 240Z. He had AC in it. Because of the way I reset up the engine, I took it off. It needs to be recharged, but I have all the parts. I would be willing to part with it. Let me know if you are interested.

VAN

Pulled my dash this weekend. Looks like the heater core and heater control valve need replacement too. :cry: Also, with the Nissan or Motorsports auto kits I still need to figure out how to mount their compressor on my LS1 (sepentine pulley & mounting bracket issues). I think I will go with the Vintage Air kit. This will solve most of the problems. Just need to make the control unit look good in the dash. Thanks for the help guys.

• 3 months later...
Guest PBooty

just pulled my dash a couple hours ago, been meaning to do so for some time..

I have ac installed, but its too weak to make any difference. I might look into swapping out the blower motor like some of the others on this board.

Lemme know how it goes with the vintage air thing....

Good luck

I still need to figure out how to mount their compressor on my LS1 (sepentine pulley & mounting bracket issues). I think I will go with the Vintage Air kit. This will solve most of the problems. Just need to make the control unit look good in the dash. Thanks for the help guys.

Get the AC compressor from Johns Cars. It is not a Sanderson like so many people have assumed and, with the bracket John supplies, will mount beautifully on the drivers side and allow you to use the stock LS1 belt from a Z28. It is a very compact Japanese unit that is high effeciency and pulls only a fraction of the HP a Sanderson would require. Well worth the premium.