HybridZ

ebay blocks?

Guest emo236

Guest emo236

This is my first post here. I was run off the road by a stupid semi in my z32TT and now it's totalled. I have a budget of about $20K now though for my next project, a LS1 240z. My question is, are the engines on ebay good to buy? I've heard mixed things on this. Are the majority of the LS1's on ebay scams? How can one tell? Also, I've been doing tons of searches and have spent hours upon hours reading on here as well as ALL over the place. However, I still can't find a place to buy used LS1's and misellaneous. Thanks for your replies in advance, this forum has been very helpful in planning out this project.

I could start out with the old stand by phrase here at Hybrid "use the search button' but I wont. As far as I am concerned, buying anything that is used and that you cant hear run is a gamble, Ebay or not. Especially an engine that is usually 2000 miles away and came out of a wrecked car, or worse a car that wasnt wrecked, just abused and blown up. With that being said I have purchased 2 complete drivetrains out of F bodies from out of state and both have been good. Many of the LS1 deals on Ebay are legit, but I would steer clear of the complete longblocks for the most part, unless they are cheap. it seems that most of these are warranty engines that may need some machine work and parts. It is always a gamble, but unless you can get one locally (which is still a gamble) you may go ahead and bid.

Guest emo236

Thanks for the info. And I did search...A LOT--on both here and ls1tech.com. I'm not new to forums, just this one. Sometimes there's hard to find posts. Do you have one in mind that would be helpful that I didn't find? Thanks for your reply, it helped out. Anyone else have info on this. I found numerous threads warning about certain ebay sellers but none on ebay motors in general.

Sorry to hear about your TT. I had a '90 NA and '94 TT and loved both cars but the TT was my favorite. The four wheel steering helped the thing to corner like it was on rails! Without a doubt one of the most exciting and best cars I ever owned but I traded it in on an NSX.

Anyway, you might want to consider a crate engine. http://www.paceparts.com They even have a factory warranty! :lol:

LS1 is a great engine but did you ever consider a 383 SBC or ZZ4, (I'd say ZZ430 but they are really rare)?

Guest emo236

I hadn't really considered that option too much. The price looks very attractive, but I have a goal of 500-600 hp at the crank NA. Is the SBC going to be able to get me there fairly easily? How about the crate 350? The LS1 seemed like a good plan due to the kits made for it and the power potential the motors have. Is there going to be something more cost effective and easier than the LS1. I want a KISS swap that will render power and driveability. Thanks for your help onece again.

TO get 600 at the crank with an LS1 it will be expensive, to do it NA. ANything less than a big block will be expensive to get 500 to 600 NA. 500 is a more reasonable figure with heads cam injectors headers throttle body and such. You will probably have to replace the clutch at that point as well. Figure 3 to 5 thousand to get you 500.

Guest emo236

Yea, I was thinking abou that later and realized that 600 wasn't realistic, I'm figuring more in the range of 400-500 hp NA(that's a correction). I was planning on doing this with an LS1 block, lingenfelter heads, and injectors and all that other stuff. I found a few 350 motors on ebay claiming to put out anywhere from 350-450 hp for pretty reasonable prices. Are these legit?

I purchased off ebay a 94'LT-1/ZF-6 with 60k miles (verified by car-fax) from Chris Carol Corvette in Georgia. Also off ebay a brand new 94' T-56, from Rodney Mathewes in Newcastle Indiana. Both these guys are a ways away from here in San Diego. No remorse in eather case. Beginers luck maybe. Chances are these cyber-merchants won't screw you for fear of negative buyer feedback however, do some research on the seller and you should be good to go.

AN LS1 will put out between 350 to 370 at the crank in stock form. Cam and valve springs with headers will give you 30 to 50 extra HP, giving you the push you need. Heads are reported to give an extra 50 to 75HP as well, but I cant attest to that. I did a procharger and got a little over 500 at the crank with 5 PSI on the stock engine.

Guest emo236

I've seen sets of lingenfelter heads for about $1500 and was going to do that. How does the procharger fit? Any pics? I want to use some type of forced induction(TT? SC?) down the road when I get another car for a DD.

Guest KSGerry

I sell new, old stock surplus GM and Ford engine components and engines including new LS-1 bare blocks with main caps, LQ-4 heads and crankshafts, etc. However, I don't sell them on EBay.

As these are only component LS-1 parts, you would still have to locate all of the other pieces to complete them. It does make a good "base" if you are going to use aftermarket performance parts anyway.

Regards,

Gerry Dedonis

dedonis@kans.com

Kansas Engines

I've seen sets of lingenfelter heads for about $1500 and was going to do that. How does the procharger fit? Any pics? I want to use some type of forced induction(TT? SC?) down the road when I get another car for a DD.
It fits tight in the 93 FD Mazda Rx7 that I put it in. I am in the hunt for a good z car top do the LS1 T56 single turbo swap on this winter. Procharger does 485RWHP @9PSI on a stock engine, but the torque is down because the thing takes a lot of power to turn. I am going to shoot for the 650 to 675 to the wheels with a z car, and a turbo. The Z has lots of room compared to an FD RX7, but every car has its challenge.