HybridZ

Engine painting... ??

CarJway

I searched this for a while but never found anyone explain or give tips on what paint they used and what they have seen works good. What have you guys used to paint your engine and what prep work is needed. I know for a fact that everything must be free of any type of oil so the paint can stick. Any certain brands i should be looking for??

thanks

carlos

I've always had pretty good luck with the engine paints you can get at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc. Cant remember off the top of my head who makes them. VHT makes some epoxy based paints that are pretty resistant to chemicals that would work well also, I think they are listed as brake caliper paint. For engine prep I normally clean with a good degreaser followed by a spray down with either brake cleaner or electric motor cleaner. Dont use carb cleaners, since it leaves a residue that will affect the paint you apply over it. Hope this helps a little,

Mike

The automotive spray paint usually found at the local parts stores work ok, depending on the color you are looking for. However, if you are looking at somehing that will cover the engine in a gloss black, Vista Paint Company carries a product that is unusually strong and is quiet compatible with a hot motor. It is their Oil based "ProTec" series paint. Yep, oil based house paint! Sounds strange, but I have used it on my engine and other parts and it is extremely durable, easy to brush or spray, and one application (after curing overnight) lasts for more than 6 months before the shine begins to fade. Its much less expensive than using spray cans. On average I detail my engine every other week, a bit more during the show season. Using engine washes and cleaning products usually take their tole on paint and finishes. But this stuff has held in there. Tim, Owen, Dan, along with a host of other SoCal members have seen my engine. Just ask them? Good luck with your painting project.

VAN

I used that engine paint that you can get pretty much anywhere. I painted my block after it was hot tanked and machined so it was extremley clean. I also primered my block with the "engine paint" primer. My paint is holding up great.....no fading, peeling, or anything!

Guy

Hey guys thanks a lot for the input. Going to try to get this done this weekend. As for the preping of the engine i was thinking some thing along the lines of sanding it with a light sand paper. Something in 600 and up area. But probally won't try that. Just get it nice and clean.. Guess now the only problem is to pick the right color...... :-D

What you want is the POR-15 engine painting kit. It is the ULTIMATE engine paint. Check out my photos. Link in signature.

This paint actually requires a semi-rusty surface to adhere the best. You can hit this stuff pretty hard with a hammer and screwdriver and it won't chip.

you can order it here: http://www.prp-porstore.com/

:wink:

That Por 15 stuff looks like some good stuff... I will order a kit of that stuff tomorrow and hopefully get that soon so i can put my engine in. Yea, my main concern was this stuff fading and chipping and stuff... But Im going to try this and see what happen's..... thanks for the website cygnusx1.... Hey guys thanks again for your inputs.....

carlos