HybridZ

Running a little hot

I have a Griffin aluminum radiator (same one as the rest of you with Griffins are running, I'm sure), a 180degree thermostat, and a one-speed fan from a Taurus, which moves air quite well. I sealed off the sides of the radiator with duct tape so the air will go through it instead of around the sides. Yesterday I drove my car around and often saw the temperatures getting up to 210 (each time they did I pulled the car over and shut it off to keep anything bad from happening...) I've been driving around with the hood off and wonder if putting it back on might help force air through the radiator. Even if it does I'm not sure the car will stay cool at stoplights. Basically I'm wondering what kinds of things I can do to help the car run cooler. The motor is totally fresh so the tolerances are tight and it is producing more friction than normal, but I still think it should run cooler. I set my timing at around 11 degrees with the vacuum advance pulled then plugged it back in. I don't think the timing is off enough to make the car run hot?

It's just annoying that I finally finished my car and I can't enjoy it yet because my eyes go to the temperature gauge every 2 seconds.

Steve,

Make sure that you don't have any air in the system. If your rad. sits lower than the rest of the system, that could be the prob. Try jacking up the front of the car, or parking on a steep hill and let it run with the cap off, topping it up as necessary.

Also, check that the thermostat is working. I've had new ones that didn't. If you have a thermometer, try boiling some water, with the thermostat in it and see what temp it actually starts opening. Back off your timing a bit. I've found that 8 or 9 degrees works well for sea level.

Check your plugs, make sure it isn't running too lean.

Last thing I can think of, check that the bottom hose isn't collapsing (should have a spring inside, or something).

Tim

Let me just say that having an electric fan is not a sufficient condition for having cooling problems, although it may well be a necessary one, if a wimpy fan like the Black Magic 150 fan is used.

Go OE. Ford Taurus 2spd, Mustang 2 spd.

And I agree - get the air out of the system. Air next to the temp sensor for the gage will tend to make it read high - 20 degrees in my case. Once I got the air out of the system, it stays at 195 (same as my thermostat).

Guest Anonymous

The whole Taurus fan thing has me a bit confused.I bought mine new from the dealer for 160.00(dont ask how,I'll never tell)but it only had 2 prongs on the plug.When I asked why it did'nt have 3,my parts guy asked around and told me that they were all 2 speed fans,that the 2 wire ones were supposed to have resister wired in for low speed,and that the only 3 wire fans were from the SHO Taurus.I've known this guy for 25 years,so I dont think he's lying.Was he lied to by the service techs? Whats up with that? bonk.gif

Guest Anonymous

The fan I have is supposed to be a direct factory replacement for a 88-94 .Ford part# and all.I'm guessing that if it is wired direct,it is on high all the time.But I'm an old vw guy,this whole coolant things all new to me.As far as your overheating problem,if your cooling system checks out,timing is cool,it's probably jetting ,as mentioned earlier.Sometimes on a built motor with a carb I am not familiar with,I will jet it heavy at first and step down 1 size at a time till it is'nt blubbery any more.I'd rather have some carbon to burn off than a hole in a piston,Jets are cheap.Just my 2cents 2thumbs.gif