HybridZ

Welding cowl drain???

I saw someones site where they had mentioned that they welded up the drain outlets for the cowl. They are holes in the unibody under the upper rear of the fender. I was wondering what the benifit might be. I do not plan to drive my car in the rain but it may happen. Also what about washing it? It seems water wold get stuck in the tray of the cowl and not be able to escape. Any thoughts?

I have seen someone's car on this site that welded up the three large holes directly under the cowl finisher but I can't remember who it belongs to or how they will ever get to the windshield wiper motor ever again.

If you just weld over the drain holes you are looking for trouble in my opinion. You are right, unless you weld/cover the large cowl holes water would just settle in there until it condensated.

No Tim I love that look though. I thinks someone should make a fiberglass version that looks as good a syours. I am talking about the outlet. You can only see them with the fenders off. There is one on each side. They are approx 2.5" dia holes with rubber hose sticking out. It is the point at which water that has enterd the cowl escapes. The water would then run down the inside of the fender and escape thru the holes in the bottom of the fender. I think they are the reason the lower portion of my unibody, where the fenders bolt on was rotted out. Check out my website for some pics of the rot. I don't have any pics of the cowl drains though.

I left the cowl as is, and cut little 'coupons' of sheetmetal to fit and welded in....(this was for the wiper arm holes)

For the vents, I cut out a square (around the vents) and welded in another piece (s)

Tim

I'm a little late to post but, The SMOOTH look is different,I assume your not planning on using your FAN any longer ? Since the cowl vents are simply your fresh air intake to the cabin.

If the DRAINAGE ROT is a concern,I addressed that problem years ago by routing a longer rubber hose of the same diameter and ran it through a "hole sawed" hole in the fender well splash pan ! It of course runs all the draied water and dead leaves to the ground , works great !

Disregard if this isn't what your after !

.....Vince

The fender well spash pan (at least on the S30 ) is a metal inner fender well guard that seperates the tire splash from entering the hinges to your door.The same guard may be plastic on the 260/280 Z.The later cars had a removable liner whereas the early metal ones were spot welded.

I'm sure there are more words to describe the part ,but I just call them "splash guards".

Hope that draws the picture ..............Vince

From the looks of your pix,I'd say that YES,your fenderwell gaurd was GONE. Viewing your pic.,I'm guessing your car is a 77-78'? So Your obviously needing to source those from a doner car at the JY.

BTW,when your prepping the backside of the fender(off the car) sand blast and really clean the Seam of the folded over door skin,prime it and undercoat it with several thin coats.It should not rust again even with condensaqtion,unless you miss a spot !

Thanks for your help!! It is a 75.

I am using a complete fiberglass front clip so no worries about the fender rusting. I am in the process of cleaning all the rust and undercoating off the unibody so I can treat it, patch any holes, and seal it with POR-15.

Thanks again, I am going to the JY tomorrow to check out a 76 that just got brought in. I will see it it has the guards.

Rufus