HybridZ

Stub axle nut removal - Latest technique???

jgkurz

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed in probably 50 threads already, but I'd like to get a consensus on the easiest way to remove the stub axle nuts. In all the posts I've read it seems there are two options.

1) Grind off the peened part of the nut then remove.

2) Bend the peen back out then air wrench the nut out probably damaging the threads.

Is there an easier way that I've missed?

Thanks.

You might even have to use both of these methods at the same time. :D

Really, the key is to NOT MESS the treads on the shafts.

A thread file might be a good addition to the tool box before you start (just in case the threads do get messed up).

So just take your time and the nuts will come off nice.

So far I've had pretty good luck just using brute force to get the nut off the back. Set up a big breaker bar with a socket on the stub axle nut so that the breaker bar will be forced against the rear suspesion arm when you twist on the stub axle. I have a flange that bolts to the wheel side of the stub axle, it has an arch of 1/2" steel rod welded to its face that I can run a pry bar through for leverage. I think you might be able to do this by passing the pry bar between the wheel studs, maybe thread some lug nuts on them to act as stops to prevent the pry bar from slipping out. Anyway.... Once you have the pry bar set up along with the breaker bar on the opposite side to hold the nut in place, just yank on it until the nut breaks loose. Every one that I've taken off has broken off at the staked portion of the nut, without damaging the threads to any significant degree. An impact gun would be nice too, but in most junkyards one tends to be limited to hand tools only. Here's a picture of my setup for pulling stubs, if you need more details I can email the larger pictures to you. Hope this helps,

Mike

normal_hub%20pull%201.jpg

I've used a combination of both methods several different times with no adverse affects. I've used a grinder to carefully grind the peened area down somewhat, just to weaken it. Then I used my impact gun to force the nuts off. I bought a thread chaser/cleaner tool from the Snap-On website to ensure the threads are clean and straight when I'm done.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know I think I came up with a very good solution to this one tonight.

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut at a 45* angle to the flat of the stub shaft BEHIND the peened area on the nut. I was able to cut a groove all the way across the flat on the nut without cutting the axle. Then I pulled the dremel over the area that was left back and forth until it was almost gone. I also ground over the corner a little to make sure that I had gotten everything that would affect the threads.

Zipped the nut off with the impact. Worked really well. Much better than my previous method. I don't know why the old system wasn't working for me today, but I'll use the new method if I have to do this again anytime soon.

Jon