HybridZ

Lightweight Piston

I am building up a 327 for a future datsun and have posted a couple of other questions. I am currently looking for the right piston to use with my 5.7 aluminum rods. I have many people telling emthere favorites but they are quite pricey, such as ross racing, Arias, and the lower JE srp. I am looking for a durable lightweight piston to use on a completely Naturally aspirated motor. Im looking at keith black, small dome for 327 30over for 10.5:1 on 64cc head,but are they lighter than the trw pistons sitting in my garage, because i was told those are really heavy pistons. Any help will be much appreciated

sorry, heres a little more info. I looked at the ross racing and srp pistons but can not find either of them for a medium compression 327, all i see is high compression like 12-13:1, and they are all double the price if not more that the keith black hyperneutics. Just wondering what all yall think about there pistons. Thanks so much for the help!! Peter

Guest Anonymous

For an inexpensive light(?)weight durable piston Jegs and Simmitt favor Keith Black hypereutectic pistons in their engine rebuild and stroker kits. Speed Pro (favored by Northern Auto Parts) may be lighter and Ross Pistons most likely is. Call Jegs 1-800-345-4545 or Summit 1-800-230-3030 and ask them..I really do not know which is lighter but very well acqainted with what I can afford.Should be many members with the answer. For a street engine the extra weight may not do you in like the cost of the Ross layout will (LOL) .This speed gets expensive.My 7 cents.

IMO, the hyper pistons lack the structural integrity and rigidity of the forged pistons. High rpm use and they will break ring lands. Strong, lightweight and cheap are like the old saying "You can have it good and fast but not cheap or fast and cheap but not good." What is your goal with this engine? If it is an ultralight weight reciprocating assembly for drag racing then the hyp pistons might survive a couple of seasons. If it is a street car you missed the boat, IMO, with the aluminum rods. BME says theirs will survive on the street, but if they don't, it's your money down the tube and not theirs. FWIW (probably not much...) the Wiseco forged pistons with rings for about $450 from Summit semm like the cheapest way to go. The Manleys are nice as well, but $600 without rings. And these are for 3.48/3.5 stroke. Expect to pay a premium for the .125 dome piston for 10.5:1 3.25" stroke. If it was my money, I'd ditch the Al rods, get a 350 to rebuild and go for the Wiseco flat tops with a set of steel 6" rods. Or just run your TRWs with a R&R set of GM rods. Is the motor you are building a big journal 327 (68-70) or small journal (62-67)? If it's a big journal you can buy new Scat 6" rods for $249.

As far as RPM wise it will have a redline of about 7-7.5 but normal cruising redline will be rare only when heavy racing, i belive the cam i have chosen(for now) is a solid mech. The cams im looking at right now is a comp cam magnum 294s or even maybe the 306s, but prolly the 294s. And this is just a street/strip 3 times a month kinda street car for fun nights a couple times, drivability not concern, but i am going with the aluminum rods, ive spoken with machine shop says they great and i got a real good deal on them, so do you think the KB's will take around 7g rpm with no problem and are they light enough for the rods to prevent stretch!! thanks

Hey, I'm sure he'll kill me if it gets to be a regular thing so don't abuse him.

Oz Cheek 2 keith black piston company (actually called United something.,..)800-648-7970 ext.167

Give him a ring. He's a nice dude. tell him Lewis said it'd be ok.

luigi

oh..ask him about his twin turbo truck

So what about Probe Forged pistons?

I found that they have a set that look good for my build and Flatlander Racing sells them for $342 with pins and oil rail extenders vs KB Hypers of the same dish for $301.

THe thing I like about what they say about the Probe SRS pistons is that they are lightweight, and you can run them at .002" piston to wall clearance, which is nearly the .0015" that KB says for their Hypers. Hopefully, you wouldn't have piston slap. For that TINY amount more money, the Probe forged are looking like the winner over the Hyper.