HybridZ

let me try this again

heavy85

Sorry but I already asked this about 10 posts below and got no reply and I need an answer so I'll try again. I'm quickly finding that if you reply to an old post that it's rare for anyone to reply back but if you start a new one then people will look. Anyway, I'm about to (like tonight) put a replacement 5 speed in my 240Z (syncros were gone in my old one) and need to know the torque for the big nut that holds on the output flange - the Haynes manual doesn't say. Anyone know?

On a replated but less urgent note, the replacement tranny synchros look perfect (at least the two I can see through the drain/fill holes) but I dont really know the condition other than it's suppose to be low mileage, it has been sitting for like 20 years, and before that was behind a turbo'ed 240 motor. Not much in the oil - it was sludgy but very little metal. It looks nearly identical to mine but slightly different so I wanted to ask if anyone knows what's the difference (my old one was suppose to be a '$1500 autocross tranny' but when I got it I found the synchros were gone). The old one had a 6 bolt output flange that mated to a cv type joint and the oil fill port is on the right side. The replacement box had a 4 bolt output flange that mated to a u joint (I have since swapped them which is why I need to know the output flange nut torque) and the oil fill port is on the left side. So, what's the difference?

Finally, what's this replacement box worth? The guy I got it from and I didn't work out a price it was just a if it works then we'll figure out payment kind of deal. So if it does works what's a fair price?

Thanks again

Cameron

I would imagine the torque would be pretty similar to a pinion nut. Someone came up with that torque a while ago, so you can dig for it or look in a manual if you have one.

Never seen the CV style driveshaft. Value of a good condition comp tranny is probably in the $1000 range.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I ended up going with 120 ft-lb which is about what the pinion nut should be. So how can I tell if either of my tranny's are the comp version or just regular 5 speeds and if the new tranny is just a regular 5 speed what do those go for?

Cameron

I don't think there is a reliable way to tell what's inside. The main indicator to me would be the 2 piece driveshaft, but I've seen them with a one piece driveshaft, and I've never seen the CV driveshaft. In fact I had both a two piece driveshaft and a single piece driveshaft comp trannies at one point. I gave them to a friend in need, and he assembled the main shaft from the one piece driveshaft with the gears and countershaft from the 2 piece (closer ratios in that one) then installed it all into a standard ZX 5 speed case. I think the original case for the comp 5 speed is different from a standard 5 speed, but I only had the guts from the two so I never saw the difference in the case or bell housings.

This stuff interchanges too easily. Unless you could see a synchro I don't think you can tell. If you can see the synchro (maybe through the fill or drain plug) then you should be able to tell. The brass synchros are yellow and that is an obvious giveaway.

If you've felt them both shift you can tell that way too. The brass synchros pop into gear with one solid click. The steel synchros have a longer throw, and almost feel like two clicks, or one and a half maybe...

Sorry I can't pinpoint that a little more for you...

I sold my spare ZX 5 speed before I moved two years ago for $150.

Jon