HybridZ

SR20DET in my 280z

Nissan-Fan

Well... There AREN'T really any tech articles per se, but the subject has come up in many posts. Nobody, that I have found, has really written the definative guide to installing an SR into a first gen Z. There is some custom fabbing required and many individuals do not have the time, money, or tools to accomplish the feat on their own. I'm in the middle of my SR swap right now and if you have any specific questions feel free to direct them to me through PM. Cheers

Keith

sorry, i suppose no one really bothered to do an sr20det write up. You may want to shoot a PM to johnc, he was in the process of making sr20det mounts.

there's also a place in san mateo, ca, called http://www.ndautocare.com

the owner's son has an sr20det powered z, and the owner has a vg30 powered 240z. They may have copies of mounts

I'm not comfortable selling my engine and trans mounts as a kit. The engine mounts need to be welded to the frame rails and I just can't be assured that someone will do it right.

I wouldn't sell mine either. Even though I have designed them (chromoly girdle welded to rails) and run computer stress simulations on them (FEA/COSMOS) I do not want to be liable for their incorrect installation. Computer simulation does not take EVERYTHING into account (vibration, oscillation...etc). Too many ways to get burned. But that shouldn't stop someone who has the determination and resources from devising their own engine mounting system. I have found my own experience to be entirely rewarding.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats Nice could i at least get some better pics i want to do this swap and i want the safest possibal mounting.

Dude... It's really not THAT difficult to replicate johnc's mounting design. The pictures in his link show pretty clearly how it's structured and he provided you with the material specifications. Please don't take my comments the wrong way but this is an area that should be left to individuals with experience fabricating custom motor mounts... especially if you're either unsure of your own abilities, or the safety of the ideas of someone else.

If you're determined to fabricate your own mounts then I have a few suggestions. Examine closely the stock motor mounts for the L-series engine (...other engines, too). Look at how they are constructed. There are many people running high HP engines on the stock mounts... that should speak for thier strength and durability. Do your homework on materials. Not all metals are created equal and therefore possibly unsuitable for your mounts. If you deside to mount from the frame rails then think of ways to reinforce the area you are modifying. Are there any Hot Rod fab shops near you, anyone doing custom work? I have found that most Hot Rodders are easy to talk to and are possesed with a great wealth of knowledge (make sure you compliment their car! :D ).

This territory (mounts for SR's in S30's) is not uncharted, but it is definately not clearly documented. But there is alot of information out there on the custom motor mount subject that you can use, even if said information is not specific to the SR20DET. Good Luck!

• 1 year later...
They are not hard to fab at all. Really simple. My concern is that someone gets hurt and sues my *** when the try to weld the mounts into the car and don't know what they are doing. I think there are a cpouple pictures of the mounts I built at the bottom of this page: [url']http://www.betamotorsports.com/benchracing/miscimages.html[/url]

What if someone to sign an agreement and keep it on file? Sorta like a disclaimer ?