HybridZ

I get to work on a REAL AC Cobra engine!!!

zguy95135

well, I get to polish the valve covers, and am getting paid. The story behind it is that my uncle's friend was rebuilding an old flatbottom race boat, and when he tok the engine out to get it rebuilt, the mechanic saw that it was from a AC Cobra. Its a real engine, and has all the vins, and Carroll Shelby is actually building him a replica for him (hes getting paid of course). Its one of those exact replica's, and costs $50,000. Wow :shock: , just getting to work with this stuff is a reward in itself :D

pics of the parts soon

I know what you mean. I worked as a chassis fabricator at Shelby American in Las Vegas a few years ago. Coolest job ever, infact, the only job I've ever had that I looked forward to going to every day. Lots of history in those cars, even the brand new replicas they are making. Too bad the Series 1 cars are almost bankrupting the company :cry:

Mike

I love those things. My brother and I own an auto shop, and we have decided to put together Cobra replicas as a way to keep the techs occupied when things are slow. I can't believe how much even replicas are selling for if well built. We're putting 351's in them (they're nasty enough, I don't want some middle aged dude to get killed in them) unless someone wants a real fire breather. Of course, we'll have to break in the engines by driving for 1000 miles or so. I can't wait-better make that 2000 miles.

Guest bastaad525
Cobras are GRRRRReat!!!

I always wanted one but built a Z instead. Money was an issue at the time' date=' now however I'm starting to "think" about it again.

ds[/quote']

Average money spent on a Factory Five Racing Cobra kit, if you stick to the stock Mustang 5.0 running gear: $18,000-20,000

Money I've spent on making my Z a fast well handling car so far (a goal which, by the way, has not even yet been fully realized): about $15,000

Average money spent on building a Hybrid Z: anyones guess but numbers above $10,000 seem more common than not, the nicer V8 conversions usually over $15-20k

Shoulda built a damn Cobra :evil:

NOOOO....... No more Cobras!! Man it seems that the term kit car automatically means cobra!! No offense Ben..if it makes some dough go for it...but what about something a little more unique

Well, I do have a spare Suzuki Hayabusa motor sitting around that I want to put in a shifter Kart, that would be unique. I'd feel guilty selling it because anyone who bought it would probably get killed.

By the way, looking back on it, it would have been cheaper building a Cobra, and it would be running by now :(

Yeah I've got about 12K in my car aw I'm kidding myself at this point it's probably closer to 15K+.

Shoulda built a Cobra, but back in 2000 I didn't have the $$$ to afford 20K for a kit. So I got a Z instead, now that I'm finishing up the Z I'm looking around for something else. I guess it's not really the driving of the cars but the work I put into them.

Looked at a 68 Camaro RS/SS the other day and a 64 Vette too. Both decent cars but the vette was just a tad out of my price range and the RS/SS just didn't trip my trigger. So I'll keep looking and sit on my $$$ and enjoy the Z for now. But if I ever find a car that I MUST have I know I can get. Yes I am looking at Cobras because nothing SCREAMS performance more than those cars IMHO.

David

Cobras are super nice cars, and I have a lot of respect for them, and especially people who build them themselves. On track performance leaves something to be desired; unless they are super radical, a V8 Zcar will wear them out.

John