HybridZ

sometimes its CRAZY NOT TO BUY A TOOL

14590_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...29&categoryId=0

my local machine shop charges $20 to press out and old u-joint and press in a new u-joint, theres 6 u-joints in a corvette, I own three corvettes

now it will cost me $120 not counting the u-joints themselfs (another $120) to replace a single corvettes u-joints thats $240 with me installing and removing the drive/half shafts

I bought the PRESS ABOVE simply because its NUTS NOT TO,I wind up owning the press and saving $20 buying it!! on the first job! all other jobs I save $120 each on!

I recently bought the same 12 ton press from Northern. It's a good tool for the price. It's paid for itself already.

My first job was removing the bearings off the carrier's for my LSD swap. Those suckers are on there! I almost crapped myself when the first one let go, sounds just like a 12 gauge firing. 8)

!M!

Guest Aaron

Summer before last I was replacing the bearings in my lawnmower deck. I spent about 2 hours pounding the first one (of four) out then I remembered that my grandad had a press in the back of his barn before he died. I uncovered it, pressed out the other three, pressed in the four new ones, and was done in about 30 minutes. I decided then that I would never be without a press.

sorry this is fairly off topic but applys to the idea of spending money on tools to save money. recently my dad and I went in halves on a miata for autocrossing. We have been trying to decide if we should spend some money on some DIY alignment tools. Not only would we save $50+ everytime one of our cars needs an alignment but we would be able to fine tune the alignment on the miata and toy with settings etc. the laser camber/caster tool is $240 and is suposed to be pretty accurate and we were looking into just going with the sting method for doing toe even though thats the setting that needs to be the most accurate imo. I couldent find a toe tool that was relitivly inexpensive so thats the next best thing I guess.

To continue with the off-topic...sorry Grumpyvette!

Damn, lasers and such Jon Mortensen hates those things :D

There was a pretty long thread we had going on measuring for the suspension, bunp steer, lasers, etc. You might be able to find it in a search.

I have one of these,

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=208075&prmenbr=361

two plates of masonite, steel, etc. with some oil in between them seems to work pretty well as turntables. Or you could always get these....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45742

Whoa! The price went down!

ON topic, I used the press so many times this past weekend, and also last nite putting in a steering knuckle ball joint.

Owen