HybridZ

289 in my 300zx

Guest StreetVelocity

Guest StreetVelocity

ok i have a 65 mustang with a 289 and i want to put it in my 84 300zx i was wondering how hard it would but and what steps to do like automatic or manual tranny if it would even work planning a car dragstrip only so any info would help

Guest Aaron

Carefull, I think no one has answered because there has not been a 300zx ford swap (at least that I am aware of). It can be done, you are just charting new ground. Should be very similar to a 302 swap, so you should read up on the ford swaps into the s30 Z's to get an idea of what you are getting into. The z31 chassis is similar to the older cars, but there are significant differences. My dad has a 400 SBC with TH350 in his 84 300ZX. the Ford 289/302 is lighter, narrower, but longer that his engine, so it will fit just fine.

Read through the past posts, and formulate specific questions and the people around here will give you more information than you can digest.

Where are you in AL?

The T-5 is a modern day manual 5 speed. The C4 is the small auto. I've heard from time to time of a C5 auto which was mentioned as a heavier-duty C4 but I've never seen one. The C6 auto is a heavy-duty auto used behind the big blocks but can be used behind the small blocks with the proper bellhousing. The Top-loader was a '60s and '70s cast iron housing 4 speed that was pretty much bullet proof, but has gotten pricy in my eyes, and a bit heavy.

If you can get a C-6 go for it. I ran a C-4 in my 67 mustang (back in '82)and though it held up for a while I did break it. It held up for 4 broken 8" rear ends, then it gave up. Put in a toploader and been interested in road racing ever since. I miss that car...

j

I'm not well versed in the differences between the two. The C4 should be plenty strong (if that is what they still call the SBF autobox) and I'm unsure of the actual differences between the 4 and the 5. I've seen problems with the C6 behind the Cleveland motors so I'm not sure there is any substantial improvement in going to the larger tranny.

My best friend and I run a NHRA superstock '64 Comet. The car has a 289 with a C-4 that has been built by TurboAction transmissions in Jacksonville FL. The car weighs 3250 with driver and has a 5000 stall converter (flash stalls at 5300 rpms). The car runs 11.0's and 11.1s and cut 1.45 sec 60' times (pulls the front tires). We have made ~200 passes with no problems. See link below:

https://www.autoimagery.com/store/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=2004_NHRA_National_Event_Photos/Gainesville_-_Mac_Tools_Gatornationals_-_Mar_2004/Super_Stock&image=0412-0980.jpg&img=0&search=Strunk&cat=all&tt=&bool=and&tfile=tn_0412-0980.jpg&numtolist=12&sortfiles=2

One of our fellow racers(Blair Patrick) is the current national record holder in Super Stock (SS/EA) and has a 428CJ powered 1967 mustang fast back. He runs 9.41 at 139 mph and cuts 1.29 60' times with a C4. He stands that mustang's front wheels 5 feet in the air. See link below:

https://www.autoimagery.com/store/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=2003_NHRA_National_Event_Photos/Gainesville_-_Mac_Tools_Gatornationals_-_Mar_2003/Super_Stock&image=0311-0637.jpg

The C-4 is a very good transmission when built correctly. It is much lighter than the C6. The only downside that I see is the lack of overdrive, but that is only an issue if the car will be street driven. [/url]