HybridZ

Los Angeles Air "Quality"...an oxymoron?!

Tim240z

Took this today from Chino Hills State park facing west towards the basin. This was at 08h30, so the low level ozone was just starting to build!!

Great way to see the inversion layer over the city!!

smog1.jpg

I was in the Navy stationed out of San Diego. We use to go up on deck as we sailed into SD from the open ocean. When we were still far enough out that we could still see the curvature of the earth, but long before we could see land, the first thing we would see of SD was this huge brown log floating over the horizon. The damn thing was even tapered on both ends.

I was stationed in SD for 3 months before I realized it bordered mountains. Got up one morning after the rain and couldn't believe what I was seeing. By mid afternoon I couldn't see them anymore.

So now I move to Maryland. Turns out the county I am in has some of the worst air quality in the nation. All of the power plants in the Ohio and the Pennsylvania flush down the Chesapeake bay and land on my house.

BTW, Tim240z. Didn't you remove your EGR? :lol::P

But I think that picture is so bad because of the wildfires.

Tim,

That's 40+ miles of visibility.

The air quality in the LA basic is orders of magnitude BETTER then it was when I was growing up in the 1960s. Air quality has been improving almost every year since then and the median air pollution levels have declined every year since the Clean Air Act in the early 1970s. There have been some recent spikes int he number of air quality alerts, but the median numbers still keep coming down.

Some figure I read a while ago say that 85% of the air quaility improvements came from regulation of mobile sources (cars) and 15% from stationary sources. Seems that what we are paying for the SCAQMD is not coming back in returns.