HybridZ

So...... What do you guys think?

Guest StreetSleeper

Guest StreetSleeper

595659_9_full.jpg

'67 Chevy 327

I just picked it up for $200, he prev owner does not know the original miles. It does not smoke, burn oil or have any large deposits under the valve covers. History; Orriganlly out of a "67 Vette, put in to a truck the he was planning to build an moddify < he actually had it driving around>, projected kinda died so he sold me the engine, he offered the original Vette three speed for $50 more but I'm going with a T-5.

Plans are,

Intake : Edelbrock Performer RPM

Carb: Undecibed

as are the rest.

From what I've read this came from the factory @300hp, hopefully I'll be able to restore that and add much more.

Later

That's quite a find! I think the 327 is probably one of the better matches to the Z's character, although there are plenty of people on this list who will probably disagree with me. Racy, high-revving engines and Z's just seem to go together for some reason.

Did Corvettes really ever come with a single-barrel carburetor, though? That looks REALLY out of place.

edit: Sorry, that's obviously a two-barrel carb. My bad.

Guest StreetSleeper

Oh, yea, the intake manifold came from the trucks orriginal engine. I went over the engines history many times with the prev owner. I wanted to be sure I'm not getting screwed.

Guest StreetSleeper

EDIT

The block has missmatched numbers, Supposivly Its an industrial Engine, made at a date when that engine wasn't in production(made in 72 or 62, and the code only ran in 69, and its supposivly out of a "67 vette). I'm contacting GM on further information, the heads match with the block date, but have the odd number 0f 8888888.

Guest StreetSleeper

3970010 is the block #. After talking with a guy at GM, I found this out, Its is a 327, its not orriginal Vette but likely a replacement, Mortec was incorrect in the listing years and type for this engine.

If the engine in the Vette were to go out in 72, GM would have replaced it with this engine, the GM block # changed after 67 and they stared using this engine in their industrial trucks due to the large HP/TQ out put.

The only difference between this block and the orriginal vette block, only the casting numbers.

So I Lucked out, I got a reallly good engine for a realllllly good price.

I have a block with that casting in my garage and it was also supposedtly 72 vette block. Has a T in the vin so I figured it was truck 350 4 bolt. Although it did have some SMALL valve (1.5/1.74) 327 heads on it. Which confused me. Could this have been a 327? It has a 4" bore, how do I check the stroke of the crank? Measure the distance from OD of one rod journal to the od the main jornal add the radiuses of those OD's?

I am not using it because it is cracked. Just wondering if it was a 327 or a 350 because that block was only stated as a 2 or 4 bolt 350 in any of the documentation I read. Maybe have some parts to sell that are worth something? Everything but the block was in usable shape.

I may have gotten the same deal but for free cause of the cracked block. But I am skeptical.

StreetSleeper - I think you are going to have to take it apart to find out. My SBC book and two other web sites agree with Mortec.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/castings.htm and http://www.4willyb.com/

I'd put money on it that your 3970010 engine is a 350 out of a truck. I say that only because 3970010 truck engines are very common (plus it has a cast iron intake and 2BBL.) and 3970010 327 Vette motors are quite rare.

Guest StreetSleeper

Well, I called the guy I purchased it from, and he wants me to come over. Were going to see the Vette it was pulled out of.

Well one thing I know for sure is I pulled the engine off a 3 spped tranny, the same one that "suposivly" came from the Vette, and the same one GM verified came on a 67 Vette when I talk to them. I'll tell you guys what I found out.

Guest gtmattz
3970010 is the block #. After talking with a guy at GM' date=' I found this out, Its is a 327, its not orriginal Vette but likely a replacement, Mortec was incorrect in the listing years and type for this engine.

If the engine in the Vette were to go out in 72, GM would have replaced it with this engine, the GM block # changed after 67 and they stared using this engine in their industrial trucks due to the large HP/TQ out put.

The only difference between this block and the orriginal vette block, only the casting numbers.

So I Lucked out, I got a reallly good engine for a realllllly good price.[/quote']

HEY! now i know what I have!!! My Father-in-law gave me an engine that he had lying in the back of an old truck, he said that when he got the engine he was told it was a 327.. i was not sure at the time but it seems that now i know. :D my plan has been to use the running 305 that I currently have to do the inital V8 swap, while building the 327... i was holding off because for one, I was not sure it was indeed a 327. I guess he pulled the engine himself when he took delivery, It was in a 64 pickup at the time, and he said he started it up and it ran fine, that was about 7 or 8 years ago tho, and it has sat wrapped in a tarp on the back of the old flatbed since he got it home.

blocknum_web.jpg

blurryblock_web.jpg

(sorry bout the quality, was still learning how to use the damn camera lol.)

Can someone post exactly how to tell a 327 from a 350 please. Do you measure the rods..crank? How?

I have a 350 crate motor in my 72.. a 327 (a real one :P #3914660) in my 73 but i also have on a stand a 3970010 350 in my garage. I have always assumed it was a 350..but it did have a factory 4 barrel manifold on it with large secondaries so now I'm wondering..

I also have a 3970010 block in my garage. It's a 4 bolt 350 ci block out of a late 70's/early 80's 4wd pickup. It has the 010 and 020 numbers cast into the timing chain area and on the back of the block as well, indicating the addition of .10% tin and .20% nickel during casting. The additional nickel is supposed to make the block wear better. I'm pretty sure that GM used this casting number on a large number of blocks, as it is a fairly common number in the junkyards out here, at least in the trucks. Not sure if they ever used it for the 327's, but it could be converted to one by switching the crankshaft with a 327 made after 1969 (large main journal)

Casting numbers are definitely confusing though, and although many books have been written that list which blocks go with which casting number, there will always be oddball combos that don't match up.

Mike

You can tell the difference between a 350 and 327 by measuring the distance that the piston travels from TDC to BDC. A 350 piston will travel 3.48" down into the bore before reaching Bottom Dead Center, the 327 piston will travel only 3.25"

Mike

You can tell the difference between a 350 and 327 by measuring the distance that the piston travels from TDC to BDC. A 350 piston will travel 3.48" down into the bore before reaching Bottom Dead Center, the 327 piston will travel only 3.25"

thats really good info ... but what if the motor is completely disassembled..how now?

327 (3.25" stroke) crankshaft casting numbers:

1130, 4672 (forged steel, small main journal 1968-69)

3911001, 3941174 (cast nodular iron 1968-73)

350 (3.48" stroke) crankshaft casting numbers:

2690 (forged, 1968-75)

3932442 (cast nodular iron, 1968-85)

3941182, 1182 (forged, 1968-85)

400 (3.75" stroke) crankshaft casting numbers:

3951529 (cast nodular iron, 1970-80)

If your crankshaft doesn't match any of these numbers, post the casting number and I'll see what I can dig up.

Mike